Update - Body Shell ID Tags - Success

Hi Bob,

To send a P.M.

Place cursor over the name of whom you wish to message, i.e. Angelfj

A box will appear.

In bottom left you will see "Send Message" left click this, which will open the box in to which you can type your message.

Regards, Richard

• 9 years later...

Does anyone have a photo of the plates in situe as my battery box has been replaced . I heard somewhere  that the EB plate was originally painted and the body number left in the brass finish , is that correct???

many thnks

Stevebatterybox.thumb.JPG.13ff7ab34ede4e0802a4f408acca160f.JPG

20 hours ago, Nobbysr said:

Does anyone have a photo of the plates in situe as my battery box has been replaced . I heard somewhere  that the EB plate was originally painted and the body number left in the brass finish , is that correct???

many thnks

Steve

Above photo is correct, but under the top lip of the plastic battery tray should be the other plate consisting of only numbers.

It is this lower plate which would have been originally painted body colour, & the EB plate (added after painting) was just brass.

Bob

2 hours ago, Lebro said:

It is this lower plate which would have been originally painted body colour, & the EB plate (added after painting) was just brass

I believe it is the other way round.  EB is the Mulliners number which was sprayed over by them after building, the other number was an S-T number put on after arrival at the factory and hence not sprayed.

Mike

23 hours ago, mike ellis said:

I believe it is the other way round.  EB is the Mulliners number which was sprayed over by them after building, the other number was an S-T number put on after arrival at the factory and hence not sprayed.

Mike

Correct 

Stuart

My understanding is

The EB plate changed size as the number got bigger.   EB number sequence was not a constant value away from the TS number.   

The factory build number plate remains the same size looking at the few I have.
Who has number 1000000? Late 1959?

Yes attached by screws not rivets.

IMG_1982.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
8 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

My understanding is

The EB plate changed size as the number got bigger.   EB number sequence was not a constant value away from the TS number.   

IMG_1982.jpeg

My car was built on 12th December 1959 and has body shell number 1066638.

Rgds Ian

Interesting debate , I have done the usual web checks and it seems that the EB number was painted and at the topwith the other number below   but there was a load with both numbers polished

I found the attached judging guide  from the US which has a section on the engine bay and they refer to the EB number as painted and above the chassis number which is left brass

hopefully   the PDF  will send ok

cheers

Steve

TRAJudgingGuide (2).pdf

16 minutes ago, Nobbysr said:

Interesting debate , I have done the usual web checks and it seems that the EB number was painted and at the topwith the other number below   but there was a load with both numbers polished

I found the attached judging guide  from the US which has a section on the engine bay and they refer to the EB number as painted and above the chassis number which is left brass

cheers

Steve

TRAJudgingGuide (2).pdf 629.34 kB · 4 downloads

Thanks for that.

Here is the extract you refer to

IMG_1985.jpeg

14 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Thanks for that.

Here is the extract you refer to

Thats the one Peter, im assuming  its correct???  its a useful document if an owner is trying to build a TR to original spec or use excepable  mods was a bit weighty for a first read

cheers

steve

IMG_1985.jpeg

cheers

Steve

On 10/22/2023 at 12:16 PM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

My understanding is

its interesting that screws were used as it suggest that the numbers were to be removed or easily swapped at some stage??

IMG_1982.jpeg

On 10/23/2023 at 4:03 PM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

In