2.5 Litre 6 Cylinder in a TR7

Thanks for that comment.....

No, not heard of it being done with a Triumph 6. The most popular engines are RV8 and Sprint (as originally intented by the factory). Other than that it splits two ways:

Here in the UK people have usually looked at later versions of the RV8 (Range Rover, TVR, etc.) or more modern engines (e.g. Rover or Vauxhall 16Vs),

Over in the US they will slap in all sorts of heavy iron V6 or V8 motors - but then that's Americans for you ;)

M.

Alex/Malcolm,

I guess I knew that would be the answer. One of the reasons I raised the question was the engine bay is long enough take the 6 and the mounting points are in the right area. I wonder if the factory ever tried the 6 cylinder engine.

As I am sure you both know the nose heavy element can be dealt with to a degree with suitable mods to the suspension. True the BHP/weight potential is greater with the 16v/2litre, but the low end torque and reliability is better with the 6 cylinder engine.

Having said that as we all know the V8 has the advantages of both engines.

As for looking for the rest of the TR5/6 bits - Well the 6 cylinder engine was also used in the GT6 and Vitesse in 2 litre form. The Vitesse being the first Triumph to use this engine in 1962 in 1.6 form. And also not forgetting its later use in the large saloons 2/2.5 form.

Its just me, I just like the 6 cyclinder engine! :mellow:

Thanks all for the feedback.

Someone has fitted a Triumph 6 pot to a 7 it was on ebay some time ago! Well it would probably make a great noise over a 2ltr but it is a bit of an odd one I agree! That 7 at Anglesey had a vauxhall twin cam in I think Mike and yes it did go like a rocket I think he had slicks etc.

You remember the yellow DHC correctly. I've also seen it at Mallory Park twice. Very quick indeed with a 2L 16V Vauxhall motor. My favourite of these 'moderns' is the Rover Tomcat engined car belonging (I think) to Robin Fountain. I last saw it at the have-a-go hillclimb at Prescott. Awesome :o

Malcolm.

As well as the TR7 I have Triumphs with both the 2 litre and the 2.5 litre 6 cylinder engine. The secret with the 2.5 is not to look for ultimate BHP. Tune it so you retain the low end torque, grunt from 1000rpm to 5500rpm. I guess it all depends on your style of driving. Good fun though, just use top and overdrive.

Though I will say our standard TR7 is very civilized and I guess more functional than most sports cars. Must be getting old!

Dropping a Chevy LS1 or 6 into it is a better root - I did this to my TVR - now pack a true 400bhp (Which is nice);)

6 lump is big iron clunker (we have to use it as in our racer - but..............).

Jelly

Alec,

Is your "nose-heavy horror story with terminal understeer" diagnosis from direct experience or just your usual, er, forthright opinion?

Like DaveR, I drive a small chassis Triumph with a TR6, 2.5 engine, the Silverback. That has almost 50/50 front/rear balance, and being allowed to drive fellow Ace Jonathan's SuperSix (2.5 Spitfire; also front/rear balanced) at Silverstone in the first TRR/TSSC championship race this season (see the latest TRaction for a report) tells me that you are not correct. The SS had lots of understeer, but that was the road tyres. The Sb, on race tyres, with fourpots and vented disks, can outbrake anyone, and equal them in a corner, steering nicely on the throttle. It does lack top end speed, but that's the gearing - and I'm working on it, coz that low end torque that Dave knows about is just wonderful.

John

Edited by john.r.davies

In my book the old 2.5/6 lump is a far better engine that the 8V 2-litre, although the 16V Sprint engine is another kettle of fish - OK, it lacks the longevity of the 6, but it's good fun while it lasts ! Agreed, the 6 torque is what makes the engine, but it doesn't seem to have found a niche in the Wedge in the same way that it has in the smaller Triumphs.

Cheers,

Alec

Alex,

Yes the six in the small Triumph chassis can be made to handle very well if modified correctly i.e. John as an example. That includes those with the swing axle set-up, not just Rotoflex type. This may be due to the short travel of the suspension and the low centre of gravity of the car as a whole. Where as the TR7 has a long travel suspension and what looks like a high centre of gravity. As a result it may have been easier just to fit a less heavy engine than fully sort the suspension.

As for the OHC 4, many years ago I had a Dolomite as my normal day car. and the engine was trouble free, it also gave good performance. So I know the engine and I agree it can be made to perform with some TLC.

At present my TR7 has very low mileage and therefore I will leave the OHC 4 in place. I have improve the general feel of the engine by carrying the standard mods to improve the breathing and setting it up correctly.

What prompted the question was looking at the TR7's engine bay it just looks as if it had been designed to take the 6. Hmm-- Maybe one day!