Overdrive Removal

Guest ron

Hi All

Does anyone know if it's possible to remove a J type OD without removing the gearbox from the car?

Ron

Hi Ron,

Yes it's possible but you have to dismantle the OD and remove it section by section from the main shaft, reverse the procedure to put it back......... it's a bit of a fiddle but beats hauling the combined box and OD around if you were taking the OD apart anyway.

Cheers Rob

Hi All

Does anyone know if it's possible to remove a J type OD without removing the gearbox from the car?

Ron

Hi Ron

I removed the rear of the A type overdrive to replace the two big bearings on the output shaft with the gearbox in the car.

John.

Hi

That's a useful bit of info for the future, I came across this on an American website and was a bit sceptical, the guy said you could do it with a J type but not an A type, I didn't think you could raise the rear of the box high enough for the OD to clear the tunnel, but I never thought of taking it off in pieces.

Ron