..and if there were no TR7?

So, if there was no TR7 what would be your favorite Triumph - and why?

tri_dol.jpg

I reckon I'd go for the Dolomite Sprint because if it's good enough for Doyle.... B)

tri_dol.jpg

I reckon I'd go for the Dolomite Sprint because if it's good enough for Doyle.... B)

Interesting question...............TR6 would still be king I suppose <_<

However, if you said I couldn't choose ANY TR I'd go for a 2.5pi Mk1 saloon

Loads of grunt, works history (in 2.0 size) and classic style :D

Hi All

I have to agree with Mad Zero, it's a Dolly Sprint fo me to. The colour either orange or magenta with the green tint windows. So 70's but still cool. The bonus is if you have a well sorted one in the performance stakes, you can still put a lot of young whipper snappers to shame.

Regards Rob

gotta be a tr6 or bonneville you never said it had to be a car

Hmmm.... wiseguy eh? :lol::lol:

Ignoring the rest of the TR range (all of which I prefer to the wedges - sorry <_< ), it would have to be the Conrero. Best looking Triumph prototype but alas never put into production.

Failing that, the straight-eight Dolomite - looked great, but I suspect it would have been too much of a handful for my limited driving skills.

gotta be a tr6 or bonneville you never said it had to be a car

If we are considering bikes, I would agree with the Bonneville (T120). I was fortunate enough to acquire a rebuilt one many years ago, but extremely disappointed to find I couldn't ride it safely due to the seat height - very wobbly at standstill. Reluctantly had to let it go and couldn't bear to swap to the less aestheticly styled US version which would have been more suited to my inside leg measurement!

If we are considering bikes, I would agree with the Bonneville (T120). I was fortunate enough to acquire a rebuilt one many years ago, but extremely disappointed to find I couldn't ride it safely due to the seat height - very wobbly at standstill. Reluctantly had to let it go and couldn't bear to swap to the less aestheticly styled US version which would have been more suited to my inside leg measurement!

Hey I reckon with skill, and a rather tenuous link, I could get my beloved bike a mention here too...

Triumph - Acclaim - Honda - CB900FA! Result! :D

GT6 Mk2 in unoriginal metallic cream with blue leather interior... and possibly a 2.5 engine?

If Triumph had not made the TR7 then I for one would have like to see both 1850 & Sprint Dolomites in DHC form.

The Dolomite was originally the replacement for the Vitesse but as we all know unlike the Vitesse was never produced in DHC form.

A DHC version of either the Mk11 or early Mk111 GT6 make an interesting car. Spit tube on a GT6 chassis. :mellow:

Hi All

To quote Mad Zero it's good enough for Doyle, if memory serves me right Bodie drove the Dolly Sprint and Doyle drove a TR7 before they went to fords. It's a shame Leyland never realised the potential of the tv series as most of us would have been playing with model Sprints and TR7'S in the playground instead of Capri's.

Regards Rob

A six-fire for me please (GT6 convertible or 6-cyl Spitfire). I've fancied one of these for a while - oh yes, and a normal GT6 coupe for a track car too :P

M.

Edited by malcolm

I think I would quite fancy a dolly sprint convertable as well. Did crayfords or anyone do one in the 70's ? <_<

I seem to remember someone did convert them into convertibles, nice cars. In recent years I have seen two homebrew Dolomite convertibles, one had the doors welded up to keep the body rigid :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All

To quote Mad Zero it's good enough for Doyle, if memory serves me right Bodie drove the Dolly Sprint and Doyle drove a TR7 before they went to fords. It's a shame Leyland never realised the potential of the tv series as most of us would have been playing with model Sprints and TR7'S in the playground instead of Capri's.

Regards Rob

Doyle was the main driver of the TR7 but the Dolomite seems to have been shared more or less equally.

• 4 months later...