Undoing Square headed bolts

Hi Folks,

I was just looking at an old thread (Dec 2008) about removing the selector rods in a gearbox.

The rods are held in by 'wedgelocks' - square headed taper bolts.

One poster was stumped by how to undo these - a spanner would work but awkward.

On this occasion a 5/16"AF spanner would fit as would a 12 point (bi-hex) 3/8" socket. The socket does need a head in good condition.

The same idea applies to the gearbox & sump plugs.

Roger

Or you could use a crows foott socketI. It is like the round part on the end of an openender but with a square drive there to take an socket driver.

Expensive as I cannot find one off available in that size.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CROW-FOOT-FLARE-NUT-WRENCH-12-Piece-3-8-Drive-SAE-5-16-to-1-Set-AST7112-/261213498445?hash=item3cd189ac4d:g:DB8AAOxyu1FRjIkw

...The same idea applies to the gearbox & sump plugs...

On a few particularly recalcitrant tapered pipe plugs over the years I've had to resort to a pipe wrench (Stillson wrench, for you guys in the UK that remember the American inventor of the things -- we don't, apparently!). Works very well. One time use, though.

220px-Ridgid_10%22_pipe_wrench.jpg

Whatever you use to remove the Wedgelocks in the gearbox go very carefully as they tend to snap off leaving the shaft to drill out.

Dont ask how I know.

While drilling out the shaft the drill suddenly went off centre and messed up the selector. Pete Cox came to the rescue not for the first time.

Surely this is the right way to do it.

http://www.uktools.com/point-sockets-c-147_1381.html?infoBox=0

8-point sockets are indeed a lovely tool for square-headed bolts. I have a vintage set of 8-point Snap-on sockets from the 1950s that work as well as the day they were made.

8point.jpg

I still like to keep the Stillson wrench handy and an extra plug.

Hello All

I always replace them with hex head ones,I either weld a hex nut on the old one or buy them from a plumbers merchant end of story and use proper sockets or ring spanners then.

I suppose if you a Conkers type this not allowed!!

Roger

Why 8 point ? surely a square (4 point) of the right size would be better

Bob.

Yes 4 would be best but 8 points allow incremental movement relative to the square socket drive - 45 degree intervals rather than 90 degree. Not so important if you are using a ratchet drive but useful if its a tommy-bar and access is restricted.

Edited by RobH

8-point is better than 12-point, if for no other reason than the angles being just right, Roger. But 4-point is better yet! Joe Alexander sells this one at his site, The Vintage Triumph. Brake adjust (1/4") and gearbox/oil plug (7/16") square ended. Do you need me to bring it over to dinner in a couple of weeks. :)

ARE-001-500x500.jpg

Roger, you need one of these:

eBay item number:

Not that specific one though, I just bought it!

Pete

s-l1600.jpg