lhd bend cure for cp tr5 /6 ?

Hi all In 5 weeks I will be taking my tr5 +wife on a tour of the Italian lakes and alpes, and i want to eliminate the usual cuting out on lhd bends for good . I intend to run a 2nd outlet pipe from the rhd fuel tank drain plug hole,via the outside of the spare wheel bay thru the spare hole in front of the CAV filter into the 2nd input,or for a bosch layout a T piece before the strainer/filter. Has anyone done this or similar mod? what is the Drain plug thread size? also I get a misfire after fast run when I restart while still hot or slow running,(poss vapour locks) I plan to insulate the steel hi pressure fuel line to the metering unit from exhaust heat, what type/brand is recomended?

Thanks Dave Dawson

Edited by Dave Dawson

I have owned a CP6 for 39 years (with the standard Pi equipment) and have done European trips to Spain and have never experienced ("the usual" ?!!!) 'cutting out on left hand bends!' :mellow: Perhaps I wasn't going fast enough? :rolleyes:

Dennis you will have a baffled tank to prevent fuel climb up the side walls.TR5 and early TR6 had no baffles hence the fuel cut out on bends.It is okay when full but as we all know that soon goes when driving sportily.

I am on home made EFI and have a swell pot which negates the problem.On my then TR6 I just kept topping it up,pain I know when touring but it had to be done. Malcome (prestige injection)has converted tanks to have swirl pots welded in by him.May be a route for you.

Regards HarryTR5 Nutter :rolleyes:

Denis,

TR5s and early TR6s didn't have baffles fitted in the tank so did suffer from fuel starvation on tight left hand bend, yours is a later CP model with baffles plates fitted to resolve the problem. Edit: seems like a 3-way post to inform Denis! :D

Dave

Those with TR5s and early 6s often fit swirl pots to resolve the issue, have a look at this thread: http://www.tr-regist...showtopic=29109

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

I have owned a CP6 for 39 years (with the standard Pi equipment) and have done European trips to Spain and have never experienced ("the usual" ?!!!) 'cutting out on left hand bends!' :mellow: Perhaps I wasn't going fast enough? :rolleyes:

maybe you never go lower than a quarter in the tank? ;)

Rien

Hi Dave

Are you going with Continentalcartours if so my wife are to I have a TR6 no problems when turning left or right we only use it for europe tours anyway,

Regards

Rod

Hi Dave,

We have had a broken pinion while driving in the classic sls rally, ok with a US spec tank, but then we have a baught a "perfect alu solution" for this problem, stil te same of course.

The only way are a separate buffertank lower than the bottom of the OE I think, we made a little one in the right forward corner next the spare wheel, no endly we can drive to the last ltr.

Cheers,

Rien

Hi Dave

Are you going with Continentalcartours if so my wife are to I have a TR6 no problems when turning left or right we only use it for europe tours anyway,

Regards

Rod

Hi Rod yes we are going on the Jubliee lakes & stelivo tour 1st to 10th of JUNE this is our 1st tour with this company Have you used this company before?

Regards

David Dawson

Dave,

Triumphs cure as detailed in their service instruction 161 from the 31st October 1969 was to introduce a T piece into the fuel return pipe from the PRV thereby allowing fuel to go back to the filter as per attached sketch from the service instruction. This solution is for the early TR6 and will only work if you still have the CAV filter.

Regards

Derek

img194-1.jpg

Edited by saffrontr

Hi Dave

Regards

Rod

Hi Rod yes we are going on the Jubliee lakes & stelivo tour 1st to 10th of JUNE this is our 1st tour with this company Have you used this company before?

Regards

David Dawson

Hi David

We used them last year to go to Brugge hotel bit basic but clean good bar food OK one thing when everybody got to Calais they all went different ways I found it best to sick together just in case anything else just let me know.

Regards

Rod

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Thank you all for your replys and suggestions, Last week end i removed the 5s tank and fitted a 2nd outlet using the rhd drain hole(3/8 bsp)using 9.5mm R7 hose and to a T piece before the filter, at the same time i installed a Prestige (Sytec) Pump Kit were the old CAV filter lived. After filling the tank with 13 ltrs of fuel ,As soon as i drove down the road a loud humming noise started from the pump area (this was cured by changing the supplied metal braided pipe between the pump and PRV WITH THE ORIGINAL RUBBER ONE ) the car had more grunt at higher revs than before, BUT on the 1st tight Lhd Bend IT CUT OUT!! then immediatey restarted so this mod is sill only a part-cure, in the past i have tryed as Derek suggested the triumph mod on a 68 tr6 by teeing the return pipe to the cav filter from the PRV this again was a part cure .so at this time it looks like a newer type tank

David Dawson

Even though you suck fuel from the right side,you will still suck air from the fuel starved side of the tank only 1/2 curing the problem.

The later fuel tank option is the easiest as theres less plumbing to do! ;)

That is what I intend to do with mine,"got the tank", if it gets annoying,so I just keep no less than 1/2 a tank at all times!

Edited by PILKIE

Hello Dave, in the case you cannot find a late PI tank, think about the solution we use on both rally cars, its a simple little alumuinum buffer tank that sits on the rh side next the to the spare wheel, one line in one line out to the pre filter or the pump and a thin line from the top to the return on the top of the main tank, all other fittings are the same, this realy work to the last ltr.

Cheers,

Rien