All,

Over on the nowadays, slow-moving Totally Triumph Net, Nick has asked about some alloy bodied TR4s that were entered for the POR (Press On Regardless?) Rally in the late 1960s. I can't find any references, but if I know a man who can, it'll be here.

Plesae see http://totallytriump...c.php?f=6&t=136 if you have information.

Thanks,

John

Edited by john.r.davies

Surely this can only be referring to the three-TR4 entry in the Canadian Shell 4000 rally of April 1964, which is well known aboiut, and well documented.

As to a 'works' entry of TRs in the Press-on-Regardless of later years - no, this did not happen. Apart from anything else, FIA regulations had changed at the end of the 1965 season, totally banning the use of alternative body panel materials- which is one reason that Spitfires, TR4s, and Austin-Healey 3000s all dropped out of the sport at the same time.

GRAHAM R

Hi

This car was the car that Dick Zwitzer retained, which was 5VC as we know it. I have pictures of the car on this rally somewhere and I am certain that it was this one. Both 3VC and 6VC in private 'non rallying' hands in the USA by this time and of course 4VC never left the UK and at this time was owned by Gordon Birtwhistle prior to Ian Cornish's ownership.

There were never any other alloy panelled cars and certainly in the USA such a car would have attracted attention as only steel panelled cars as per production were eligible for such rally events and indeed for most of the race events of the time.

Regards

Tony