Photo

Pilkie's New Project

114 replies to this topic

#1 PILKIE

PILKIE
  • TR Register Members
  • 3157 posts
  • Cars Owned::Classic cars,golf,travel,Ebay!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

The latest update is that both the cars I was interested in to recomission have been sold.

BUT!!! :D :wub: :D

Fate took a hand when in the corner of his barn stash I spotted a 1954 MG TF1500!! :) :)
Its a California black plate import,brought back in 1996 and dry barn stored ever since.
I had previously thought it was another kit car,but no its the real thing,the LHD gave it away!!
Probably the most gorgeous looking MG ever made,and one of those cars thats been on my lust after list for quite a while!
It had spent almost all its life in Texas and most of the paint has been baked off,but WOW!! :blink: :o it is SUPER SOLID!!!! all over!
Body and chassis are undamaged just the usual dusty surface rust,interior trim is a bit crispy, but seats are pretty good,and somewone,"a previous UK owner" nicked the engine for his 1949 TC.

I didnt think twice and last weekend a deal was done!
It is only about 3 miles away,and its coming home tomorrow morning!
It will need a s/h or new engine,"Will fit a MGB eng/box if I can't find an original",total repaint,full interior retrim,new chrome,and a brake,susp and elec overhaul,etc,etc.
This should keep me busy for a while!!!
Heres a pic of it in its current resting place,a pic of a nice one,and a link to the pics ive taken so far!
http://s107.photobuc...mview=slideshow
Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by PILKIE, 25 March 2012 - 09:44 PM.

Regards PILKIE
MEET THE FLEET!

=================
1971 Series 2 Rover V8P6B,auto,rostyles,webasto,etc!! My reliable EVERYDAY,daily driver since 1999!

=================================================================================
1970 Triumph TR6pi,o/d,2.5L Lucas injection,original uk car. Fun in the sun and any reasons to drive it!

=================================================================================

1968 Series 1 Rover V8P6B,Three Thousand Five.2 owners,43k miles,rostyles,panels off total repaint!

The lads posing on parade. Ardy, Sid6 and The Boss.

Photo1527-Copy500x152.jpg

#2 dykins

dykins
  • TR Register Members
  • 3114 posts
  • Cars Owned::1963 Triumph TR4
    1975 Triumph Stag

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:03 PM

Was the Stag a "no go" then, Dave?

What is the red Italian looking car on the right of your photo?

Regards

Peter
Owned 1963 Triumph TR4 ADC815A since 1997 and previously a 1973 Triumph TR6 UYE760M from 1983 - 1994

Posted Image Posted Image

#3 PILKIE

PILKIE
  • TR Register Members
  • 3157 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:09 PM

Hi Peter.
Stag got sold,as did the Morris 1000 conv,but turned out that was a roof chop fake!
Actually pretty pleased I didnt buy them,considering what I have now got! :D
The Ferrari looking car to the right is one of the very good Magnum Ferrari type kits with an Lancia engine.

Edited by PILKIE, 26 March 2012 - 02:01 PM.

Regards PILKIE
MEET THE FLEET!

=================
1971 Series 2 Rover V8P6B,auto,rostyles,webasto,etc!! My reliable EVERYDAY,daily driver since 1999!

1970 Triumph TR6pi,o/d,2.5L Lucas injection,original uk car. Fun in the sun and any reasons to drive it!

1968 Series 1 Rover V8P6B,Three Thousand Five.2 owners,43k miles,rostyles,panels off total repaint!

#4 ntc

ntc
  • TR Register Members
  • 9740 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

Dave
Good luck with it looks nice, but the bloody link is full of pop up's !!!!!!!!! I no go back there :o :(
Regards
Neil

#5 PILKIE

PILKIE
  • TR Register Members
  • 3157 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:13 PM

Try this one!
http://s107.photobuc...1500/?start=all
Anyone else having problems please let me know!!

Regards PILKIE
MEET THE FLEET!

=================

#6 ntc

ntc
  • TR Register Members
  • 9740 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:57 PM

:angry: :angry: :angry: No the same bugger it I HATE THIS sorry Dave they can stick it as far as imho
Regards
Neil

#7 PILKIE

PILKIE
  • TR Register Members
  • 3157 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:06 PM

Neil??
Do you mean pop ups you have to cancel off the screen or just adverts on the site?
I get nothing except the pic when I go on there and click on a pic to display!!

Edited by PILKIE, 24 March 2012 - 10:24 PM.

Regards PILKIE
MEET THE FLEET!

=================

#8 ntc

ntc
  • TR Register Members
  • 9740 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

Dave
A box that will not go x or not and yes I have a good secure system
Regards
Neil

#9 Kiwifrog

Kiwifrog
  • TR Register Members
  • 2501 posts
  • Cars Owned::Byrds instant custard and Marmite but not on the same piece of toast

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:12 AM

Try addblock plus It works quite well

http://adblockplus.org/en/

alan

Gaffa tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

There's nothing that shouts "Poor Workmanship" more than wrinkles in  Gaffer tape.....

#10 Kiwifrog

Kiwifrog
  • TR Register Members
  • 2501 posts
  • Cars Owned::Byrds instant custard and Marmite but not on the same piece of toast

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:23 AM

It will need a s/h or new engine,"Will fit a MGB eng/box if I can't find an original",total repaint,full interior retrim,new chrome,and a brake,susp and elec overhaul,etc,etc.
This should keep me busy for a while!!!
Heres a pic of it in its current resting place,a pic of a nice one,and a link to the pics ive taken so far!

Pilkie

I doubt an MGB Engine would fit without a bit of hacking. The B engine is a BMC B (Austin derived) series where the xpag/Xpeg was a moris baby. You should be able to find a 1250 box and motor, even if you have to import one from the states where a lot of these cars have been converted to Volvo power. There is not a lot of difference in HP and Torque between the 1250 (xpag) and 1500 (Xpeg) motors. 57bhp for the 1250 and 63bhp for the 1500. If a genuine 1500 your car should have a chassis number greater than 6501. Given the rapidly rising vale of these cars I would try to keep it as close as possible to stock.

Cheers

Alan

Gaffa tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

There's nothing that shouts "Poor Workmanship" more than wrinkles in  Gaffer tape.....

#11 PILKIE

PILKIE
  • TR Register Members
  • 3157 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:28 PM

Hi Alan.

An MGBGT eng/std box is not difficult to do,may even do a late midget 1500.
An original XPEG would be great,,if can find one,or a XPAG but really would want to hear it running,and want to have all the ancillaries as well,inc a rad.!
Wolesley 4 /44 if I can get one.
Its chassis no is TF6985

Regards PILKIE
MEET THE FLEET!

=================

#12 PILKIE

PILKIE
  • TR Register Members
  • 3157 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:17 PM

Been doing the stripdown today!
How easy was that,a nice days work!
Almost no seized up nuts and bolts,and no nasties found so far.
Stipdown piccys.
http://s107.photobuc...down/?start=all

Regards PILKIE
MEET THE FLEET!

=================

#13 ntc

ntc
  • TR Register Members
  • 9740 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:30 PM

Good luck with it Dave, let me know when I can see it without the !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by ntc, 25 March 2012 - 09:32 PM.

Regards
Neil

#14 PILKIE

PILKIE
  • TR Register Members
  • 3157 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:41 PM

Nobody else sems to report problems Neil?
Try these links to a slide show.
Maybe better for overall viewing anyway!!

Edited by PILKIE, 25 March 2012 - 09:42 PM.

Regards PILKIE
MEET THE FLEET!

=================

#15 Tony Millward

Tony Millward
  • TR Register Members
  • 3694 posts
  • Cars Owned::Restoring TR's
    Golf, good scotch and golf...lol

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:11 AM

Wish you well with the resto Dave. The car is in great condition for it's year, I love the curves of the wings..it gives it lots of character. Do you intend to convert to RHD?. I also agree with Alan about keeping it original.

Cheers

Tony

Tony Millward
Western Australia

1971 TR6 PI
1954 TR2 TS 3949
Daily runabout...Toyota Prado Grande

My TR6 Restoration

Horsepower is how fast you are going when you hit that tree,
Torque is how far the tree moved when you hit it.

TR6_perth.JPG

#16 ntc

ntc
  • TR Register Members
  • 9740 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

Nobody else sems to report problems Neil?
Try these links to a slide show.
Maybe better for overall viewing anyway!!

It is Dave :D
Regards
Neil

#17 PILKIE

PILKIE
  • TR Register Members
  • 3157 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:21 PM

Happy viewing Neil! :D

Regards PILKIE
MEET THE FLEET!

=================

#18 PILKIE

PILKIE
  • TR Register Members
  • 3157 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

I finally got the body and chassis seperated this weekend. :D
Didnt come across any more than 6 stubborn fixings,all chopped with the cutting disc. :lol:
All the little tangs that hold brake pipes and loom in position are as solid as the day they were put on,and the brake pipes look like new under the minor dirt layer!
The old material,woven type loom covering is still in good nick,but as the wiring is 58 yrs old a new full loom will be fitted.
Now to strip,clean,rebush,repaint and refurb if req all the parts attached to the rolling chassis.
Once the chassis is sorted then I can drop in a complete running donor engine and box,as its easier to do any adaptations when the chassis is as it is.
So I am on the lookout for a 1970's MG Midget with a 1500tc eng/box thats a good runner but rusty to buy and break.
Or a Triumph spit/dolly with a 1300 or 1500tc!!
pics....
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Ramp and garage is just as I had intended the design set up to work!!
Posted Image

Just finished downloading this little video!!
Posted Image

Edited by PILKIE, 01 April 2012 - 07:47 PM.

Regards PILKIE
MEET THE FLEET!

=================

#19 PILKIE

PILKIE
  • TR Register Members
  • 3157 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

More pics on the stripdown slideshow.
Have removed rear susp and axle,front susp,and all pipes and other bolted on bits from chassis."NOWT SEIZED UP!! :D
Chassis has cleaned up great,all that was protecting it from new was a coat of etch prime and about a 1mm coat of underseal!!
Its all scraping off dead easy as its been baked in the US sun to the point of dropping off!!
Looks like some areas were devoid of underseal from new,and its still rock solid.
Going to give it a good spray coating of black rustbuster epoxymastic,coat of stoneguard and then depending on how it looks,poss a coat of satin or gloss to finish it off,followed by a real good dose of waxoil.

Regards PILKIE
MEET THE FLEET!

=================

#20 Tony Millward

Tony Millward
  • TR Register Members
  • 3694 posts
  • Cars Owned::Restoring TR's
    Golf, good scotch and golf...lol

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:35 AM

Great car Dave, and great find...I'm envious.. :)

Tony

Tony Millward
Western Australia

1971 TR6 PI
1954 TR2 TS 3949
Daily runabout...Toyota Prado Grande

My TR6 Restoration

Horsepower is how fast you are going when you hit that tree,
Torque is how far the tree moved when you hit it.

TR6_perth.JPG

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users