Hello,

I search all information, including photos, on the Works Triumph TR3S run by Claude DUBOIS in the 1959 24 hours of Le Mans.

I plan to transform the look of my TR3A like Phil Tucker's car as seen on a video of Le Mans Classic 2010.

I read the book by Claude Dubois on this topic but I have no pictures on the design details.

Jean-Luc FROSTIN

Mail: jeanluc.frostin@orange.fr

Jean-Luc, basically you have to lengthen (and strengthen) the chassis by 6" or 150mm at the engine bay. The front inner guards need 150mm fillets added. Then you need the 150mm longer fibreglass front mudguards and bonnet. By adding a lowered plexiglass windscreen you have the look of a TR3S. Of course the works cars had other modifications such as rear disc brakes (Girling as per Mk2 Jag), windage undertray, fibreglass rear guards, different dash, special BRG paint etc. It depends on how far you want to go.

Obtaining a twin overhead cam Sabrina engine would be very difficult.

Regards,

Viv

There have been 3 successful re-creations of the TR3S. The first, back in about 1996, was Glen Hewitt's (Mr Protek) - the car is now in the Far East (Japan, I believe). The recent ones are Phil Tucker's and Paul Hogan's. Phil has used an Alfa Romeo engine, which is a twin cam, and he has made specially extended front cam covers to simulate the "Sabrina" look.

The change of shape is not a simple matter because the front end of the car is extended and therefore the angle at which the front wing falls towards the driver's door has to be reduced - which means that this change has to be incorporated into the inner wing as well.

There must be a great many other seemingly simple but actually rather awkward problems to be overcome - the people to ask are the fellows who undertook the task.

I seem to recollect that Glen (or Bill Piggott) described some of this in a TR Action many years ago - a search on the DVDs of TR Action (the two CDs cover 1-100 and 101-200, and there is a search facility which, although not as rapid as with MS Word, does work - I know, because I have used it). I've just checked my MS Word version of the Register's History Book - it seems TR Action 121 is the place to look.

Ian Cornish

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your information which confirmed me that the work is huge if I want to respect all the differences existing between TR3 and TR3S.

At first, I will make the most simple (windscreen, dashboard and bucket seat) and continue my investigation to other parties. Do you now if the cars of Phil Tucker and Paul Hogan are visible somewhere? Next of Le Mans Classic or Good Wood perhaps ?

Jean-Luc

I would expect the cars of Phil and Paul to be at Prescott for the Standard Triumph Marque Day (20th May) and at Malvern for the TR Register's International Weekend (11th & 12th August).

I'll send them an e-mail to ask whether their cars will be at other venues.

Ian Cornish