Remote Brake Servo - fitting

Hi

Just looking at fitting a TR Shop remote brake servo unit to my TR4A along with other brake changes. Seems reasonably straightforward but that's probably tempting fate... Has anyone had experience of doing this to save me re-inventing the wheel? Where best to site, orientation, where to pick up vacuum (sharing manifold/engine breather or separate connection?) etc etc. Any pointers or tips gratefully received. Ta! Frank

I fitted mine in the 'original' position, fixed to the drivers side wheel arch facing backwards. The vacuum pipe run is short and I quite like the look of it. One problem is that the bonnet prop hits it when you put the bonnet down...need to solve that one with a wedge of some kind...

4746724277_7f0b8f1421_b.jpg

Edited by randall977

Hi Frank

The remote servo on my 4 is fitted in the same position as Randals car with the bracket for the bell end bolted through the inner wing,it is low enough not to effect the bonnet stay in anyway,as my is a 4 not a 4a it doesn"t have the breather pipe so the servo is connect directly to a tapping on the manifold, not good at putting pictures on here might be able to get wifee to do it if needed.

Phil..

Hi again

Just had another look and my servo is turned 90degrees with the white filter piece facing the engine which allows the bracket to be bolted through the wing as previosly mentioned and gives you the option to site it lower down.

Thanks very much to all for your help - Randall, Phil and Pete. Sorry didn't get back sooner but been out enjoying this weather! Servo does look right on the driver's side, I admit. That's what I'll go for. With the 4A, is it ok to share the vacuum take-off for the crankcase breather valve do you know? Frank

If I might make an alternative suggestion .... I went for the passenger side as there's less clutter over there, and it makes for a much simpler brake pipe routing with less bends/ups/downs. One pipe along the bulkhead to the servo, and then one straight out of the servo 'nozzle' and directly down the wheel arch/inner wing to the 3-way brake pipe connector on the chassis rail immediately below. The servo fits neatly to the bulkhead at the right angle and the 'nozzle' support bracket goes on the wheel arch.

And yes the white bit should face downwards if you want the best from your servo (it should give you details in the instructions they come with), and ideally you should have a non-return valve in the vacuum pipe (to stop exhaust residues being sucked into the servo when you switch off the engine)

Mick

Edited by KnightsT

... and another thing .... I was advised NOT to share the inlet manifold outlet with the breather, but to fit a little filter (like a small K&N filter) on the rocker breather. Apparently it will reduce the vacuum to the servo significantly if you tie them both in off the same manifold connection..... which I suppose makes sense.

Mick

Edited by KnightsT

Hi all

According to my mechanic brother of many years experience (very handy), the white filter should be positioned so as not to allow water to splash on it which will block the flow of air, also it is important that the servo should be angled upwards and not fitted level or downwards as this can cause air locks in brake pipe at the end of the cylinder.The non return valve is a must as previously stated. In the 60"s & 70"s they fitted servo"s to mini"s morris minors and all sorts in various places , some works coopers had them fitted under the dash. Just checked my 4 again and the tee piece on the brake pipe is on the chassis rail on the drivers side below the su carbs not as Mike,s car on the passenger side, is yours a4a are they piped on different sides???

Phil..

Hi all

According to my mechanic brother of many years experience (very handy), the white filter should be positioned so as not to allow water to splash on it which will block the flow of air, also it is important that the servo should be angled upwards and not fitted level or downwards as this can cause air locks in brake pipe at the end of the cylinder.The non return valve is a must as previously stated. In the 60"s & 70"s they fitted servo"s to mini"s morris minors and all sorts in various places , some works coopers had them fitted under the dash. Just checked my 4 again and the tee piece on the brake pipe is on the chassis rail on the drivers side below the su carbs not as Mike,s car on the passenger side, is yours a4a are they piped on different sides???

Phil..

Yes, on my 4A the brake pipe t-junction is on the passenger side chassis rail - Mick's passenger side mounting therefore does make good sense as new brake pipe runs are very simple. And fitting it to the "original" driver's side would make any work on the starter motor very difficult. Thanks for your photo MIck. Incidentally, the servo I bought has a non-return valve fitted directly on the unit and the instructions don't specify another in the vacuum line. This is a great forum; really appreciate the help!! Frank

I have resisted the temptation for a week, but can't help myself: the best place to fit a brake servo is to the garage wall - it's out of the way and bleeding the hydraulics is unnecessary.

The car only weighs a ton and even a vertically-challenged, light weight, old fellow such as me can stop the TR without extra assistance.

I shall have to don a suit of armour before venturing to any future TR meetings!

Ian Cornish