Inertia Switch

Hello,

Thought I would add an inertia switch as an extra safety device on my TR5 (on the low current side of my fuel pump relay). Ordered the one from Moss: C41220AX

C41220AX_1.jpg

Haven't mounted it on my car yet, but it seems to me on shaking it manually that it's going very easily in the "cut off" position... So I was wondering if people here (I suppose mostly TR6 drivers) had had some experience of it cutting off the fuel supply when it shouldn't, for example on hard sporty cornering/braking/accelerating/etc?

Hello,

Thought I would add an inertia switch as an extra safety device on my TR5 (on the low current side of my fuel pump relay). Ordered the one from Moss: C41220AX

C41220AX_1.jpg

Haven't mounted it on my car yet, but it seems to me on shaking it manually that it's going very easily in the "cut off" position... So I was wondering if people here (I suppose mostly TR6 drivers) had had some experience of it cutting off the fuel supply when it shouldn't, for example on hard sporty cornering/braking/accelerating/etc?

Hi Brett

I have one on mine, from Revington, looks identical has numbers 06062886 and pbt-gf15 on the face.

Its been fitted for the last three years without ant issues at all.

If a shake it manually, the ball bearing dislodges, then push button it relocates.

When fitted it would need an impact to dislodge the bearing,

which is what its designed for.

My original was too slack, used to dislodge on occasions, usually of spped bumps.

Cheers

Guy

Guy

Hi Guy,

Yes it's the same, pbt-gf15 on the face.

So it never dislodged on driving for the last three years, but would it dislodge easily when you shook it manually before fitting?

Brett

Never dislodged when driving, it would dislodge easily when shook by hand , didnt require much of a shake.

I have just taken it off bulkhead to check. When its fitted, even tapping it hard with a screw driver end has little effect.

Cheers

Guy

£50?

FIFTY QUID????????

Take note! This switch is fitted as standard on Rover, Landrover, RangeRover, Aston Martin, Peugot, Caterham, Renault and Jaguar cars, and maybe others. If you don't want to trawl the scrap yards, they are for sale on eBay. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A3133&rt=nc&_nkw=inertia+switch&_dmpt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=15&_sc=1

I have one that cost me £9, inc.P&P, and no doubt you couild get one cheaper. It needs a solid thwack on the panel to unlatch it, so no worries, mate.

Some of them have three leads, some two. The third lead is to illuminate a wraning light that comes on when the switch unlatches, in case of unintended turn-off. The Peugot ones have a RED RUBBER cover! (Vava Vooom!)

I see the Moss item has spade connectors attached. If you buy second hand, ask for the multiway plug connetcor that links it into the native loom, whereupon dismantling becomes a breeze - no need to label wires.

John

Edited by john.r.davies