todays tire size that fits well on tr6

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_osrocket_*

Guest_osrocket_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2004 - 05:16 PM

i know that the tire size is 185R/15 but what is a good alternative in todays current available sizes that fit well, one guy told me that a 205 / 75 / 15 may fit ok, anyone have any experience with this.

thanks johnb

osrocket@neo.rr.com

#2 badshead

badshead
  • TR Register Members
  • 1596 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 05:20 PM

Hi

I'm just joined the world of TR6 motoring and was pondering the same question as I've got different tyre sizes front and back! if you use the search facilty you'll find there is loads of very useful advice about tyre sizes.

#3 jean

jean
  • TR Register Members
  • 3412 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 07:08 PM

205/65 will match the old 165 tyre size in circumference. Since years my TR6 is fitted with 195/65 which are about 1 inch less. On European cars the tyres used to be 165 on U.S. cars 185. Dunlop and Michelins on Euro cars had an aspect ratio of 80.
I would not go above 205/65 as this size is matching well with the side aspect of the car. Depending on the tyre construction and camber setting larger tyres might produce chaffing on the rear wing :(
Jean

Posted Image
Jean R.
60 TR3A / 70 TR6PI on EFI
TR'ing since 1963

#4 Richard Crawley

Richard Crawley
  • TR Register Members
  • 3629 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 11:51 PM

If you have standard 5 ½ J rims then the most you should got to is a 185 section tyre. These are generally available at 65% aspect ratio but this is somewhat smaller in diameter than the original tyre & so does not fill the arches so well. A 185 x 70% aspect ratio tyre is almost identical to the original 165 x 75% (??) aspect ration (an original Pirelli tyre on my car measured around 635mm dia.) but this size can be difficult to source &, as they are not amongst today’s “popular” tyre size, are quite expensive! The nearest match I could find, & I think the best compromise, is to fit a 6J rim with a 195 x 65% aspect ratio tyre. But remember, widest is not necessarily best on a road car & a 205 section tyre is excessively (& unsafely) wide for standard 5 1/2 J rims. The suspension was never designed to cope with the forces these tyres inflict + the steering will become very heavy a low speed; Personally, I think tyres of this width look rather silly on a classic TR road car! But if it’s customised & you’ve done all the mods, that’s another story – go for 18 inch wheels with low rubber to match!
Richard C
1971 TR6 owned since 1975

#5 Lord Jellybelly

Lord Jellybelly
  • Members
  • 113 posts
  • Cars Owned::Bought my first Triumph [Spitfire Mk 3] brand new then sold it 6 months later when I realised I couldn`t afford it.  Always wanted a TR 6 and in September 02 realised that wish by buying a red `74.

Posted 02 May 2004 - 11:39 AM

As a point of information I fitted 185/70  Vredestein Sprint ST70 with innner tubes all round last year on wires and have no complaints except the cost which I suppose  is expected: £470 including tubes, tapes and balancing. :D

#6 Bill Bourne

Bill Bourne
  • TR Register Members
  • 196 posts
  • Cars Owned::TR6,TR5. European trips

Posted 12 May 2004 - 07:37 AM

I'm about to renew my tyres, and have ran 15000 miles on 'Goodyear Fulda's 185x70 on 5.5j's wires centre laced. I bought these from Micheldever Tyres, who also have the correct adpators for balancing wire wheels. No real complaints, but these tyes are not brilliant in the wet. The cost was about £59 per tyre with tubes etc. So good price etc,. What are the Vredestein tyres like ? and where did you get them from ? As I might consider a change.  Thanks in advance.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users