Hi everyone,

Looking for a bit of advice please.

Having had a gently leaking radiator for a while now I decided to get the original recored. In doing so I looked at all the hoses and was surprised just how cracked and likely to burst some of them are(they are 6 years old). I was particularly surprised at how much the top hose from thermostat to rad has bulged. I wonder if my rad wasn't allowing water to pass as freely through it as it should and so the top hose was under quite a bit of pressure? I'm replacing with Silicone hoses.

The question I have is that having looked at the forums it seemed that Toyota's 4life coolant option looks like a good one - a complete mixture that includes corrosion inhibitors and I think I read somewhere that it changes from red to Orange once it's been in contact with hydrocarbons and therefore a good warning that the head gasket is starting to go...

I went to a Toyota dealer to get this 4life coolant and what the bloke told me was the equivalent now is 'long life coolant', which I bought.

Is anyone in a position to tell me whether this is the equavalent to 4life (the bloke was hardly convincing) and it is the right thing to use?

The prep for the trip to Le Mans is nearly complete!

many thanks,

Rich

post-1955-127368663601_thumb.gif

post-1955-127368663601_thumb.gif

....the equivalent now is 'long life coolant', which I bought.

Is anyone in a position to tell me whether this is the equavalent to 4life (the bloke was hardly convincing) and it is the right thing to use?

I mistakenly bought some 'long life' although not whatever Toyota sells. I was not encouraged to see that it's more dilute than the standard antifreeze.

Anyway, I doubt it's the same. 4Life is used neat, mustn't be diluted with water. I've heard good report of it on this forum, people say it keeps the water jacket free of deposits.

I bought some, then my radiator blew up and spat it all out. I bought some more after the rad was recored, but I've never used it.... Don't quite know why, perhaps tempting fate... or perhaps it's that you have to carry some around with you as you won't be able to get it in the High Street if needed, and it mustn't be diluted. Anyway, I prefer to use rainwater and change the whole lot every two years.

If you want it, yes I think the MGOC sells it at a good price and their delivery was quick as well.

Ivor

I mistakenly bought some 'long life' although not whatever Toyota sells. I was not encouraged to see that it's more dilute than the standard antifreeze.

Anyway, I doubt it's the same. 4Life is used neat, mustn't be diluted with water. I've heard good report of it on this forum, people say it keeps the water jacket free of deposits.

I bought some, then my radiator blew up and spat it all out. I bought some more after the rad was recored, but I've never used it.... Don't quite know why, perhaps tempting fate... or perhaps it's that you have to carry some around with you as you won't be able to get it in the High Street if needed, and it mustn't be diluted. Anyway, I prefer to use rainwater and change the whole lot every two years.

If you want it, yes I think the MGOC sells it at a good price and their delivery was quick as well.

Ivor

Thanks for your comments Ivor. I have bought 10 litres, in order to have a full charge and then a couple of litres spare. This stuff is premixed, but gives very little technical info. where it is actually in english! Just says 'contains Ethylene Glycol'. I don't know whether it also contains water, as if there is a true waterless option, it makes sense to me, simply from the rust point of view. I may very well take it back. I'm now not convinced about it at all, unless anyone else can give me better advice...?

If I do it seems the best bet is trusty rain water, anti freeze and a corrosion inhibitor?

Thanks again,

Rich

..it seems the best bet is trusty rain water, anti freeze and a corrosion inhibitor?

As Neil says, wink.gif

Antifreeze acts as a corrosion inhibitor, and for cars such as mine which never see hard frost, that's its main purpose.

If you maintain the concentration between 25 & 33% and change it every couple of years, it will be fine.

More is not better, because antifreeze doesn't actually transmit heat very effectively, and beyond 25% the more you have in there the less well the cooling system will work.

Ivor

Thanks chaps, I was a little bit confused by all the different advice in the handbook and as my 6 is probably used and stored as most peoples', I was thinking along the lines of either 25 or 33% conc anti freeze. I did see in Moss's book they offer a seperate corrosion inhibitor and thought to add some of this as well...

I guess what you are saying is that you would just use 3 - 4 pints anti freeze, the rest rainwater and not complicate things further.

cheers,

Rich

Hi everyone,

Looking for a bit of advice please.

Having had a gently leaking radiator for a while now I decided to get the original recored. In doing so I looked at all the hoses and was surprised just how cracked and likely to burst some of them are(they are 6 years old). I was particularly surprised at how much the top hose from thermostat to rad has bulged. I wonder if my rad wasn't allowing water to pass as freely through it as it should and so the top hose was under quite a bit of pressure? I'm replacing with Silicone hoses.

The question I have is that having looked at the forums it seemed that Toyota's 4life coolant option looks like a good one - a complete mixture that includes corrosion inhibitors and I think I read somewhere that it changes from red to Orange once it's been in contact with hydrocarbons and therefore a good warning that the head gasket is starting to go...

I went to a Toyota dealer to get this 4life coolant and what the bloke told me was the equivalent now is 'long life coolant', which I bought.

The prep for the trip to Le Mans is nearly complete!

many thanks,

Rich

WARNING!!!

Hi Richard,

Before putting 4life or any coolant coloured RED into your TR, you should read the news item entitled "Antifreeze" on the FBHVC website: www.fbhvc.co.uk/2010/01/27/antifreeze

Jim

WARNING!!!

Hi Richard,

Before putting 4life or any coolant coloured RED into your TR, you should read the news item entitled "Antifreeze" on the FBHVC website: www.fbhvc.co.uk/2010/01/27/antifreeze

Jim

Jim,

Many thanks. Having got the 4life already, I was tempted to have a go with it anyway. I will not being doing so now! Back to the blue stuff!

cheers,

Rich

Richard

Having also a leaky radiator, and having just checked price of new one from usual places, a recore might be the cheaper option. If you don't mind - where and how much! I live in Luton so your info may be relevant.

Cheers

Graham

Richard

Having also a leaky radiator, and having just checked price of new one from usual places, a recore might be the cheaper option. If you don't mind - where and how much! I live in Luton so your info may be relevant.

Cheers

Graham

Hi Graham,

Mine was starting to split along the seams (eek!) and also the outlet pipe joint was leaking too. I have had it completely stripped down, re-soldered and recored by Sheldrake and Wells in Ipswich for £164 all in. Nice friendly people, guaranteed the work for 12 months too. :) Sounds expensive, but a brand new one from moss was £200. Mine also has a different mounting point for the temperature sensor (alongside the inlet pipe) and a a new rad would have had to have this modifcation at extra expense, so I chose to have my rad completely redone. I chose to mount the temp sensor in a different position, because I feel it should read the temperature from as near the engine as possible where the water is at it's hotest. I don't know why people have it on the bottom pipe....where it's already been cooled :unsure:

My car 'lives' in Ipswich, so probably not too much help to you.

All the best,

Rich

Jim,

Isn't that report talking about antifreeze additive, as opposed to coolant such as Forlife?

I'm not a chemist so I apologise for what may be a daft question!

David

Hi David,

The report is quite frightening to owners of older cars and says that research has shown that serious damage can be done to engines which were built before these new RED coolants were invented. It basically says that, if you run an older vehicle, use only BLUE products in the cooling system. If you haven't read it, I strongly recommend taking the trouble.

Jim

Hi David,

The report is quite frightening to owners of older cars and says that research has shown that serious damage can be done to engines which were built before these new RED coolants were invented. It basically says that, if you run an older vehicle, use only BLUE products in the cooling system. If you haven't read it, I strongly recommend taking the trouble.

Jim

Jim,

I owe you a debt of gratitude in pointing out this article. makes very worrying reading and the forum proves it's worth again!

Cheers,

Rich

Rich,

thanks for the info. Actually I know someone who lives in Ipswich who I see fairly frequently, so it might be more useful than you thought! I did a bit of a search on the internet and have eventually located a place in Kempston. I'v emailed them for a price so it'll be interesting to see how they compare.

Graham

Rich,

thanks for the info. Actually I know someone who lives in Ipswich who I see fairly frequently, so it might be more useful than you thought! I did a bit of a search on the internet and have eventually located a place in Kempston. I'v emailed them for a price so it'll be interesting to see how they compare.

Graham

How about these people?

http://www.comspecrads.co.uk/

Might be a bit closer for you!

:D