TR6 Wiper Switch

Hi,

The wiper switch on my 6 has failed, after about 3 years. It is one of the current repro ones - the twist for wipers/push for washers version. The connections are different to the original, factory-fitted item. When I bought it, I could not find anyone, including the supplier, who could give me the wiring instructions and so was left to work by trial and error. I had the wipers working intermittently, fast, slow, self-parking and operating with the switch in the off position! I never did manage to get it working correctly and settled for off in the correct position with self-park and one speed operation. Now that the switch needs replacing, I would like to know which colour wire should be connected to each of the 4 terminals on the switch so that it gives the full range of operation. I have run a search on the Forum and have found that other sixers have asked the same question, but I have not found an answer.

Can anyone please help?

Cheers

Jim

Hi JJohn,

It is difficult to know what wiring to use without any information on the switch. Do you know which switch it is and what connections are made at each position?

TT

Hi,

The wiper switch on my 6 has failed, after about 3 years. It is one of the current repro ones - the twist for wipers/push for washers version. The connections are different to the original, factory-fitted item. When I bought it, I could not find anyone, including the supplier, who could give me the wiring instructions and so was left to work by trial and error. I had the wipers working intermittently, fast, slow, self-parking and operating with the switch in the off position! I never did manage to get it working correctly and settled for off in the correct position with self-park and one speed operation. Now that the switch needs replacing, I would like to know which colour wire should be connected to each of the 4 terminals on the switch so that it gives the full range of operation. I have run a search on the Forum and have found that other sixers have asked the same question, but I have not found an answer.

Can anyone please help?

Cheers

Jim

Hi JJohn,

It is difficult to know what wiring to use without any information on the switch. Do you know which switch it is and what connections are made at each position?

TT

Tony,

Thanks for your response. I obviously failed to describe the switch clearly. It is shown on page 162 of the current Moss catalogue, item no 80, part no. 155496Z. This switch has a circular section on the rear, on which there are 4 terminals arranged concentrically and numbered 1 to 4 in marker pen, requiring spade connectors. I know, from fitting the one which has just failed (same as the new one) that the terminal numbers do not coincide with those on the factory fitted switch.

Jim

Hi Jim,

this should help

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/wiper-problem.shtml

Cheers, Patrick

Thanks very much Patrick!

I have downloaded the item and will work through it. However, I wonder if the information given applies to the original, factory fitted switch, the rear of which was rectangular as shown on the diagrams, rather than the one which is now supplied. This has a flat, circular section at the rear on which there are 4 spade terminals. These are numbered 1 to 4 in marker pen and I know, from installing the switch which has just failed, that the numbering does not coincide with that of the original factory-fitted switch.

Thanks again,

Jim

Jim,

here are the schematics for the different years.

http://www.advanceautowire.com/tr2506.pdf

Scroll down, until you find your (TR6) year. You'll see, that the later models change from the rectangular wiper switch to the circular one.

The connectors are numbered. If this does still not correspond to your switch numbering, you'll have to figure out with a multimeter, how the switch interconnects the different spade terminals on the different positions and combine this with the wiper motor schematics I posted initially.

I found out during my TR6 rebuild, that my wiper switch is a circular one, but not from a TR6, but according to the LUCAS number, it's from a Range Rover (fitted with the original TR6 knob).

I'll be buying an original TR6 switch, maybe in one of the coming winters...

Patrick

Edited by roulli
Jim,

here are the schematics for the different years.

http://www.advanceautowire.com/tr2506.pdf

Scroll down, until you find your (TR6) year. You'll see, that the later models change from the rectangular wiper switch to the circular one.

The connectors are numbered. If this does still not correspond to your switch numbering, you'll have to figure out with a multimeter, how the switch interconnects the different spade terminals on the different positions and combine this with the wiper motor schematics I posted initially.

I found out during my TR6 rebuild, that my wiper switch is a circular one, but not from a TR6, but according to the LUCAS number, it's from a Range Rover (fitted with the original TR6 knob).

I'll be buying an original TR6 switch, maybe in one of the coming winters...

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

That looks very promising as the wiper switch for the '73 TR6 looks the same shape as mine. However, the numbering sequence is not the same, so fingers crossed.... It will be the weekend before I can get at the car again. I will let you know how I progress, by posting a report.

Many, many thanks!

By the way, are you optimistic about finding an original switch? I thought they were no longer obtainable.

Cheers

Jim

I've been idly looking for a wiper switch too. Seems one can get them...for a price. Not being one that worries overmuch if I have an original switch or not, I tried finding other rotary switches that i could substitute - seems you can get 2 speed wipers but none seemed to come with the wash option.

Ended up repairing my switch with araldite - problem I had was the body moved with the knob.

Hi Patrick,

That looks very promising as the wiper switch for the '73 TR6 looks the same shape as mine. However, the numbering sequence is not the same, so fingers crossed.... It will be the weekend before I can get at the car again. I will let you know how I progress, by posting a report.

Many, many thanks!

By the way, are you optimistic about finding an original switch? I thought they were no longer obtainable.

Cheers

Jim

Hi again Patrick!

I have just installed the replacement wiper switch. The wiring diagram you supplied was helpful, but not correct. It gave the same colour code connections as eventually supplied by the Moss Techinical Department. On the wiring diagram, the 4 terminals are numbered in sequence from 1 to 4, anti-clockwise. Connecting as the diagram gave slow speed in the "fast" position, off in the slow speed position and a single, high speed sweep and self-park in the "off" position.

However, the terminals on the switch read 1, 4, 2, 3 in the anti-clock direction. So, leaving the no.1 terminal connected to the brown/light green cable, I connected the other terminals in the same sequence as shown on the diagram, ignoring the numbering. This gave correct operation and self-parking, but with the switch having to be turned in the anti-clock direction. The wiring connections are now:

Terminal No.1: brown/light green

Terninal No.2 : green

Terminal No.3 : blue/lightgreen

Terminal No.4 : red/light green

I have advised Moss Technical Dept of my findings.

After all the difficulties with the previous switch, I am happy to settle for the result I now have.

Thanks again for your help.

Jim