Lever Arm Oil

Hi All

Made an error here.

Looking for some info on lever arm oil and found this post.

Topping up lever arm oil in the TR3 forum.

Now i know its an old old post but it is the only one i could find so resurrected it, not realizing it was on the TR3 forum, and I didn’t know how to link it send it to the TR6 forum, doh. But anyway question remains but for a 72 TR6.

Just refurbing some lever arms (Bullfire being my inspiration) and going to replace the old dirty oil.

I was just gonna buy some Penrite No1 but my local TR parts people didn't have any so i was looking for alternative and found this post, basically saying that the Penrite is way too thin and is not the right thing.

Penrite No1, the standard road use offering is ISO46 and the same weight as Ed uses in his refurb (ref pic of can) but is that the same as the original Armstrong oil?

The alternative is to use Penrite No2 which is ISO 68 and thus I assume heavier.

But TR3 5EKT gave me a link to Opie Oils which is very useful.

They offer two weights, ISO32 and ISO46, saying that the 46 is the heavier weight for more sporty competition use whereas Penrite offer ISO46 as the standard No1 oil and ISO 68 (even heavier?) for comp use. Trouble is still not sure if the original comments from 2010 about Penrite No1 (ISO46) being lighter than the original Armstrong oil and thus too light are correct or not..

I'm assuming that the higher the ISO number the thicker or heavier the oil and thus the firmer the shock.

So the question is has anybody got much experience of the oils and are the old comments in the original post correct and what is the most appropriate oil for normal to spirited road use?

Cheers

Keith

Check out Chef Tush from Toronto, Canada on youtube videos. He has an excellent, short video on replacing the Armstrong Lever shock fluid on his TR6. Fluid recommendation within.

Here it is.

Edited by Sapphire72

Engine/mineral oil should not be used as it doesn't have the necessary anti foaming agents. I believe the original oil used was SAE 10 weight (ISO 32) and the popular upgrade is to change this to SAE 20 (ISO 46) weight. I understand that hydraulic oil or motorcycle fork oil is ideal to use. I have bought this product to use in mine, but have not changed it yet so cannot comment on the impact.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/172900705870?chn=ps&dispItem=1&adgroupid=54713458289&rlsatarget=pla-413909069916&abcId=1133936&adtype=pla&merchantid=110559341&poi=&googleloc=1006977&device=c&campaignid=1057753394&crdt=0

Cheers,

Sean

Keith

this might be useful

TRAction 303 page pg36-37. As a member you can read it on line if you have lost your copy of Traction 303 Feb 2108

Great review of the issues and abuse of Armstrong Shocks.

Iain

Keith

this might be useful

TRAction 303 page pg36-37. As a member you can read it on line if you have lost your copy of Traction 303 Feb 2108

Great review of the issues and abuse of Armstrong Shocks.

Iain

Did the 2108 TRaction give any clue as to how Brexit turned out. Or did the electric TR6 ever get sorted. Will I ever get a Banjo!!

I wonder if Preston North End ever get into the Premiership.

Roger :P