Steering box top plate

Hi

Has anyone fitted one of the spring loaded top lids to the steering box

Is it worth the expense and does it work?

Any experiances?

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony

I fitted the Revington top plate to my long door------- A revelation!, much less slop at the wheel

Keith

I bought one, noted how it was made, & concluded that I could make one for zero cost.

So I did, & sold on the original at half price to a mate.

Yes it makes a differance, but only if the rest of your steering gear is in very good condition.

It won't make a knackered box come right !

Most noticeable at speed in a straight line, any play is reduced to pretty much zero.

Bob.

I bought one, noted how it was made, & concluded that I could make one for zero cost.

So I did, & sold on the original at half price to a mate.

Bob.

Hi Bob,

I like your financial acumen. You could be the next Chancellor of the Exdeckchair.

Roger

I fitted one to my TR2 which is my daily driver. I did it with a steering box rebuild and Revington phosphor bronze steering rod bushes to replace the silentbloc ones.

My steering is fantastic and how they were intended I expect.

I agree it would be pointless to fit one to a worn out steering system, but replacing the original steering with r&p with a bigger turning circle, possible bump steer, the loss of your original cockpit and a higher cost doesn't suit many TR owners.

Edited by John McCormack

I only sprint and hill climb my 3a. But typically are courses are very tight.

Mine has a good box and bronze bushing.

Very pleased with the responsiveness

A little heavy at less than walking pace manoeuvres. But I do have 185/70x15 tyres.

post-14544-0-68997900-1522087351_thumb.jpeg

I fitted one to my TR3. However, I needed to ease off the adjustment nut a minimum from tight to make a difference which perhaps indicates a fair bit of ware within the steering box.

I also fitted Revingtons revised steering arms and longer tie rods. Altogether it does make the steering a lot better without the sloppiness at the steering wheel and it turns in better, no bump steer either.

​Rob

​PS Bob - Have you infringed copyright! :D

There is one R and P conversion that does not increase the already quite large turning circle. It is not as reversible as the bolt on conversions.

I have driven two Tr3a’s with this conversion.......they are excellent......but are they what driving a side screen car is all about.?

A well set up steering box with all components in good order is still a good car to drive, if a tad heavy at very low speed.

Iain