Rear Valance Replace or Repair.

I am restoring my TR6 and currently working on the body. I suspected that at some point the car has been hit from behind, which has proved to be true as the rear valance had very thick body filler. Once stripped back I can see several areas that concern me.

• Passenger side above the bumper mount has a crease that looks very difficult to remove.
  • Several dents along the back.
  • Drivers side bumper mounts has several rust areas

On a positive note there seems to be no rust at the bottom between the inner and outer panel.

I have attached some photos and was wondering how easy the rear valance is to replace and what the fit is like or should I repair ?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

Rob

PS I did find a long thread about rear valance, however, it’s hard to follow as a large percentage of the photos are no longer available.

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/20991-rear-valance-assemblyoh-no/

post-12396-0-69773000-1521496261_thumb.jpg

post-12396-0-72299600-1521496272_thumb.jpg

post-12396-0-09927900-1521496280_thumb.jpg

Hi Rob

From the photos it looks like the nearside of the panel has already had patches welded in though it may just be the photo?

And as you say there is quite a few rust holes round the offside bumper mount. I think I would be tempted to replace it especially as someones already had a go at it and possibly made it even harder to repair, and it may not be an original Stanpart panel anyway.

Looks like youve used a flapwheel to take the paint/rust back on the offside, the only thing I have against those is that they can take good metal away too easily and round off profiles and swage lines if you are not careful!

Kevin

It looks likely that your inner valance is rusted around the bumper mounts also. In the pic of the offside one you can see the rust through the holes. The question is how bad is it? I think it would make sense to expose it to see what the position really is.

I have been there. Had to replace the lower inner valance and outer valance. As Ed says there are quite a few spot welds to deal with but it is relatively straightforward. Before during and after pics below

post-12473-0-49072200-1521531577_thumb.jpg

post-12473-0-25965300-1521531634_thumb.jpg

post-12473-0-59956400-1521531744_thumb.jpg

Replace it and it is fairly straight forward.Coat the insides with primer /paint and the edges with weld through primer.

Change the lower inner panel as a matter of course. The upper inner one is usually fine so re-use.

Regards Harry

Edited by harrytr5

Dont forget to get the right panel as there are two, early and late.

As stated they are relatively easy to do especially if you have access to a spot welder.

Stuart.