Twisted bonnet

When I bought my TR6 more years ago that I care to admit :-) one of the previous 7 owners had I think tried to open the bonnet presumably because of a snapped cable, levering it open at the bulkhead end

Sadly as a result it has never sat properly as it must be slightly distorted due to the screw driver mechanic!

I'm about to start thinking about getting the whole car resprayed...Is this the sort of thing a good bodyshop/panel beater would be able to sort out for me do you think?

Yes and now is the time ( before the re spray ) !! Once sorted , fit ( or have fitted for you ) an emergency bonnet release kit if you have not already done so.

Not seeing your issue in the flesh I can only make general comment. I had to " un bend " the bonnet on my TR4 , when I first acquired it , on the rear corners.

A particular weak spot on 4's. I welded on standard reinforcing repair panels to each corner afterwards. There's not an awful lot of science to it , just careful assessment of where it is bent. Apply some masking tape along the " fault line ".

The next bit is the scary bit. Place a decent piece of wood , a flooring board would be ideal, underneath the open bonnet , resting on the bulkhead and wing / wings depending where the fault line is. Protect the paintwork with old blankets ,cloths or whatever is to hand. Pad out any gaps between the wooden board and the underside of the bonnet. I assuming that there are no hard creases in the metal work ? Next gently lean on the levered up section of the bonnet , a little at a time. It is better to have several little attempts at correction than " go mad " and over cook it. That way you'll end up in a worse position than you started with. When you're nearly there you will have push just slightly over the final position because the metal will want to spring back a little. Stand back after each little bend and re assess the situation. A long straight wooden batten lain on the bonnet will help the process.

Not sure which part of the world you are in but one of the Triumph suppliers e.g TR Bitz ( Cheshire ), TRGB ( Cambridge ) , Revingtons in Somerset would sort you out bodywork and paint , without breaking into a sweat ! There are other suppliers

Bob

You will struggle to straighten a 6 bonnet as there is a lot more strength in it than a 4/4a/5 bonnet. It is doable as I have had to on numerous occasions and a competent body shop should be able to do the same.

Stuart.