One week into ownership and on recovery truck already

hi mike

just noticed the pics, the black shit on the calipers is the seal around the caliper

it melts, producing this hard black substance that can be picked of,

it is were the calliper gets to hot.

The problem that you have can also be caused by the servo pumping pressure and not releasing

I pulled my hair out with this problem I replaced the servo to, when it happened to me

pink

hi mike

just noticed the pics, the black shit on the calipers is the seal around the caliper

The problem that you have can also be caused by the servo pumping pressure and not releasing

I pulled my hair out with this problem I replaced the servo to, when it happened to me

pink

Or it can be the plastic backing some pads, like EBC Greenstuff have.

As a side note: I have those and according to EBC, no shims are required for these pads.

Regards,

Waldi

Certainly is, TRGB were adamant that the previous issues had been resolved with these units, they're happy to exchange it for another one but I don't want to waste more time on another TRW unit.

Have i missed something here ?

did you not say that the master cylinder came from TR Shop.

This is turning into a saga, like the one i had with my first tr6 when i bought it.

I could not get a decent pedal for any length of time, and very poor braking efficiency

After MUCH exasperation i found a very slightly leaky brake flare was sucking air into the master cylinder, AND the brake disks were contaminated with something , no idea what but it had no grip!

We all like to think out car’s symptoms have a single cause, and here that looked like the servo rod clearance, but seems not.

A methodical approach should help, I thonk i’d swap in a known good master cylinder next.

Steve

Don't know what's available in the UK but I use Dynagrip on the brake pads of all my vehicles - https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwif16766PHZAhXIu7wKHW4xBXoQFggnMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dynagrip.biz%2Fdisc-brake&usg=AOvVaw3P65zL4NZY6MQKqjjWGpF3

I've has too many problems with brake squeal without it especially the TR6 (even with the anti squeal shims fitted) and the SLK. The squeal was especially pronounced with Red Stuff pads .

If the PO was caught with squealing brakes he might have tried anything to stop it , silicon comes to mind.

It could be silicon, however, the callipers, discs & pads were fitted by a garage, a very few miles ago

Have i missed something here ?

did you not say that the master cylinder came from TR Shop.

No, the callipers that were installed came from the TRShop, the replacement M/cyl came from TRGB

Or it can be the plastic backing some pads, like EBC Greenstuff have.

As a side note: I have those and according to EBC, no shims are required for these pads.

Regards,

Waldi

These were generic standard pads

hi mike

pink

The calliper seals were fine once I'd cleaned them off, the NS seal had popped out in the gap on the spring, larger gap than normal, but otherwise they were intact.

On the subject of calipers .... here's a pic of one of the calipers on a 1984 Mini - bought very cheaply as a "stalled" restoration .........

A pat on the back for the first person who can point out what was wrong !

Ian, Hope your TR6 ownership experience improves for you soon - I'm sure it will

Regards

Matt

pic now attached on next post.......

Edited by mattyb

well done Roger !

The Mini also had 2 brake compensaters fitted - front and back - have spent the last 8 years going through every thing on the mini (not just the brakes !)

Yep wouldnt be the first time Ive seen that too and on a clutch slave as well."Oh I thought the fluid would run out better so would be easier to bleed!"

Stuart.

I see what's wrong, however, on my previous car, a Series 2 E-type, the clutch slave bleed nipple IS at the bottom of the unit, bleeding it is challenging!

On the subject of calipers .... here's a pic of one of the calipers on a 1984 Mini - bought very cheaply as a "stalled" restoration .........

A pat on the back for the first person who can point out what was wrong !

Ian, Hope your TR6 ownership experience improves for you soon - I'm sure it will

Regards

Matt

pic now attached on next post.......

I'm sure you could write a book on some of the things you've seen Stuart - some of it quite frightening I would imagine

Your not kidding, more than most on ex US cars as well.

Stuart.

I see what's wrong, however, on my previous car, a Series 2 E-type, the clutch slave bleed nipple IS at the bottom of the unit, bleeding it is challenging!

It really shouldnt be.

Stuart.

It really shouldnt be.

Stuart.

It is according to all the manuals I've seen, if you buy pre cut pipework, it isn't long enough to reach the underside either, this was a design fault.

It stops :) I bought a reconditioned m/cyl from Conrad, fitted it this morning, bled the brakes and nothing, scratched head, cracked brake pipes entering m/cyl to see if that bled anything, slight improvement, bled system again and I now have a firm pedal and a functioning brake system. Thanks to all for your help & advice.