TR6 50th anniversary. Will there be an event

Hi all. This is probably posted in the wrong section and if it gets moved, could the admin say where its moved to. As we all know 2019 will be the 50th anniversary of the TR6 launch in the UK, so I was expecting it to feature at the International event with a push to get as many examples present as possible. However, having read the proposed plan to have a marquee at a hill climb, I'm thinking that this is not going to happen. Does the Register have any plans to mark this milestone as they have done for the other models? Are they considering a marque day as has happened in the past? I don't know for sure but I suspect that there are more TR6 owning members than any of the other TR's. Surely something needs to be done. Views/opinions sought.

Edited by spaners

Dave, That may be so but I'm thinking specifically about an event in the UK, where the TR6 was first shown to the media on 10th January 1969 and officially announced on the 14th January 1969. The car was first available to the public from April 1969. So in my view, here in the UK, I'm taking 1969 as the anniversary year.

I’ll be celebrating the 50th birthday of my TR6 CC25017L in the workshop on the day it was built - first day of TR6 production, 19 September 1968.

As an aside, another first day of production car I owned has now been very sympathetically restored by its current owner. That car is CC25032L. It looks stunning.

David

Dave, That may be so but I'm thinking specifically about an event in the UK, where the TR6 was first shown to the media on 10th January 1969 and officially announced on the 14th January 1969. The car was first available to the public from April 1969. So in my view, here in the UK, I'm taking 1969 as the anniversary year.

Perhaps you could encourage the TRR to celebrate with a set of these:

post-12218-0-15663700-1519984008_thumb.jpg

I can't see the TRR organising anything really! They will probably come back with the reply that "seeing as its not an official International TR Weekend anymore we can't organise anything like this" or " yes we can but it will be down to the TR6 Registrar to do so".......................... once more passing the buck! I despair!

Why have the TR Register gone from being a very well run club to being a badly run business ? Too many nodding dogs on the "committee" perchance? Jaundiced, biased maybe even a disappointed outlook from me?

Yes !!

Alan G

Maybe It is because I have joined recently, live overseas and have no idea how great a club it was in the past, but the many volunteers that still run this club cannot be inspired if they read this.

Best regards,

Waldi

Hi all,

I just got a PM from a very respected member on this forum (by all of us) and he unfortunately confirms/shares your feelings.

Sad this is happening, and apologies for my initial comment above.

Waldi

Edited by Waldi

Despair not there will be an event of some form or other to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the TR6 however it will be somewhat dependant on the facilities available at Shelsley Walsh which is the hillclimb itself and I believe a largish building, limited hardstanding and a large field for car parking. I did speak briefly to both Paul Hogan and to Wayne Scott about this at the recent Spares day and both are supportive of some form of celebration. It will however require someone to organise and suggestions as to what form it should take, so please get your thinking caps on as to what could be done so that it can be planned well in advance.

Paul did suggest we could have a large procession of TR6 up and down the hill climb, other thoughts could be a display of early and late cars, each of the different models, publicity and motor show cars.

Let me have your thoughts and please lobby your Group Leader to gather up suggestions from their groups so that we can take something concrete to the committee and maybe get some funding for large display posters such as what the TR Register Belgium are doing this weekend at the Antwerp Classic Salon in celebration of the 50th anniversary for the TR5 and TR250.

cheers

Derek

No ideas on camping but a quick check on booking.com shows 377 hotels / B& B's within 15.5 miles of Shelsley Walsh. In my case I will probably stay in Malvern which is 18 miles away.

cheers

Derek

Malvern... that sounds like a great location for a TR international weekend....?

Just an idea.

best wishes,

Paul.

Perhaps we could fill the car park and grounds at the Abbey hotel Malvern with sixes for the anniversary
Graham

Ho Ho Ho sounds like a plan for sure. An unofficial but somehow official (being the only one now) Malvern weekend maybe we could call it an International TR Weekend ? Then again maybe not! Count me in for one!

Alan G

So we’ve all to head to Shelley Walsh on Friday for the TR6 50th Anniversary and Hill Climb then head over to Lincoln for a Triumph Weekend,Strange.

Wake up Niall, Lincoln 2018, Shelsey Walsh 2019. ;)

Cheers

Graeme

Niall, maybe it should have been in 2017 as that would have been the 50th anniversary of the first TR6 styling prototype? Seriously the introduction to the public is the anniversary that the TR Register has always recognised as the one to use for all of the TR models and no reason to change it now.

cheers

Derek

Niall, maybe it should have been in 2017 as that would have been the 50th anniversary of the first TR6 styling prototype? Seriously the introduction to the public is the anniversary that the TR Register has always recognised as the one to use for all of the TR models and no reason to change it now.

cheers

Derek

No Problem from here☘️I just wanted to make sure where I’ll be and at what Event.

cheers

Derek

"one window good, three windows bad"

post-12218-0-97556500-1520187468_thumb.jpg

The way I remember it, as a young driver, 1968 was strictly a North American introduction for the TR6 . . . . hardly raised a ripple of interest in the UK as we still had the TR5PI in the local showroom.

The USA-spec TR6 was hardly encouraging compared to the TR5, not exactly a ball of fire. My Uncle Tug tested one at the factory, cynically observing that adding a 350 twin to the 4A engine had achieved no performance increase whatsoever, which is what resulted from letting the Germans design a body . . . .

So why not let our transatlantic friends celebrate this year, and make the UK anniversary next year . . . . . but get it planned and sorted now, such that our friends from Europe and wherever else have adequate notice and can make their plans to join us.

After all, the TR6 is the largest surviving model group in the UK, and presumably also on a world wide basis ?

Cheers

Alec