I've got a couple of parts which I could do with a bit of help with, I've attached a couple of images to help; the first is a blanking piece which I thought was intended to be positioned in the engine bay to blank off the redundant hole for the steering column (depending upon whether you have a R/H or L/H drive car). My question is, was this part always used as I have a left hand drive car but no redundant hole on the right hand side that needs blanking off?

My second part is as you've no doubt gathered the wiper rack tube from the motor to the first box; this measures approximately 38cm in length whereas the correct part should be nearer 50cm; can anyone shed any light on if this as I'm assuming its from another model or, perhaps a 4a?

Many thanks

Graeme

post-9805-0-13904200-1519048574_thumb.jpg

post-9805-0-04674100-1519048583_thumb.jpg

The plate is the bulkhead blanking plate for the non steering column side. Holds a flat sheet of rubber in position to blank off the hole.So not required

The pipe?

Edited by iain

Further to above, The plate pictured is used in two places on early cars - to blank off the unused steering column hole with a rubber sheet, but also to locate another sheet which seals the actual steering column to the bulkhead.

Later 3A's had no provision for easily changing from RHD to LHD (or vica versa) the removable "Brake & clutch" blanking plate present on earlier cars is not present. Perhaps the same is true of the steering column hole.

Bob.

Hi Iain, thanks for the reply; I've had a further look on the net at various pictures of left hand drive 3a's and whilst its not always clear, a number do have the blanking plate/rubber sheet in place. Its just that my car doesn't seem to have the redundant hole for the steering column (see attached image); it just has two holes in that location and I'm not entirely sure what they are meant for?

Graeme

post-9805-0-76828600-1519055494_thumb.jpg

Graeme,

My LHD 1959 TR3a did not have the steering column hole or the cutout for the pedal box.

I know because I had to cut them myself when I converted to RHD.

Oddly though it had the little bracket “just around the corner” from the column hole where the flap from the column seal tucks into. It also had the two captive nuts just above the throttle pedal where the rightmost throttle shaft bracket fitted.

Strange that Triumph had some of the bits fitted for RHD but not others.

Oh…

The two holes that you have on the RH side, either side of where the RHD column would go.

Do they match up with the two holes in the “Blanking plate” bit? If “Yes” then it would appear that Triumph put the holes for the blanking plate to be attached, but not the hole that needed to be blanked off !!!

Charlie D.

Hi Charlie,

My LHD also has no blanking plate for the pedals,

The two holes are too big for the steering column blanking plate; one I imagine will be for the choke cable but I'm not sure about the other one. I've tried to attach another image of a car that I found on line that has pretty much the same set up as mine i.e. no blanking plate for the column, no hole for the column itself and the two holes mentioned above.

Graeme

post-9805-0-06876900-1519064923_thumb.jpg

Martin,

I just put plates on mine.

The earlier 3a came from the factory with the holes for the pedals and steering column ready cut on both sides and they simply bolted plates over the side that was not needed. (Correction... A plate over the pedal holes and the blanking rubber, over the column hole.)

Graeme,

I also found this topic that may be interesting.

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/48582-grommet-steering-tube/

Charlie D.

Its a lot easier to make up a plate to bolt over the holes rather than weld them up, the original type blanking plates come up occasionally on Ebay.

Stuart.