Mutual Help

Hi All

There is such a wealth of knowledge and experience on this site (me excluded maybe) that we should club together and arrange a mutual help club. Most of us perform maintenance and servicing on our cars to some degree and I will bet that a lot of us have done jobs just outside our comfort zone or have not done jobs that one would have liked to because of fear of messing it up. Wouldn't it be reassuring to be able to call on fellow TR'ers to help out in person. A couple of hours with another pair of hands adjusting the tappets comes immediately to mind. Obviously those living in Lands End are not going to come to the aid of me in Kent/Surrey but I bet there are a couple of dozen TR register members within 20 miles of me.

The added bonus would be that we get to meet other owners and see their treasures. The rule of the club should be that who ever asks for help has to pay for lunch/supper/a pint in the pub.

I live in Westerham so would be very interested to hear from nearby owners who are interested.

On another matter, how does one post attachments/photos?

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

there is a very strong and healthy group scene all over the country. I know Kent area have two meeting a month.

I'm sure you would meet up with help left right and centre.

But as you say via the forum it is not so widely used but is possible.

To post attachments.

Firstly ensure your attachment is not too big - 100Kb is good.

Click on 'more reply options - bottom right

Click on 'choose file' bottom left

Double click your attachment - this will put the file name in the box below

Click on 'attach this file' bottom left

Flace cursor where you want the pic

click on add file - right hand side.

Roger

Hi Simon,

If you attend your group meets then you should have all the help you need available. For instance, I bu**ered up something yesterday and a quick message to another group member was all that was needed. If that hadn't have worked, I'd have asked advice from forum users.

Cheers, Darren

No, my e-mail address has not changed, but I admit I am very bad at checking it, will do it now,

As far as a help club is concerned I am sure the local meets are good but not very hands on. What I am talking about is say 2 people meeting at one person's house to do a task/tasks, say an annual service, the normal stuff plus timing, carb mixture and balance, tappets etc. So much easier, quicker and more fun with 2 doing it. plus each could learn from the other.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

Sorry to hear that your local group isn't very "hands on". I'm surprised by that.

I do think it's great if club members can help each other (I've certainly benefited from such help), but I'm not sure what you are suggesting that's different from what we do already. I don't think there's anything to stop you saying on the forum that you'd like help with servicing (or something else), stating where you are and asking if anyone fancies meeting up to work together on it. Are you suggesting a new section of the forum specifically for that purpose?

Cheers, Darren

Decades ago one of the prime functions of local groups was that of mutual assistance . . . . we all mucked in to help each other, repairs and rebuilds alike.

That was a 20th Century thing, much reduced by the millennium . . . . and from all I hear nowadays all but disappeared in some groups. There are, thankfully, at least some groups of a more hands-on persuasion who do continue the old TRaditions.

It certainly wouldn't do any harm to look for willing fellow enthusiasts via the Forum, Members Chat is probably the best starting point to seek recruits.

Cheers

Alec

Hi Darren

The only club meet I went to was in a pub on a dark evening, There were no people in the car park tweaking their engines. Come to think of it I was the only person to turn up in a TR. I do not know how more "hands off" one can get.

Simon

Hi Simon,

I'm sure it's true of many groups that pub meets do not tend to be devoted to working much on the cars, especially on dark evenings. What I've found within my own group is that the meet is the place to talk about car issues and then if someone can help, we arrange a time to get together. As others say, it is what the club should be about. However, you'd probably need to go to several meets to get to know people and strike up friendships.

I agree with Alec above that a thread in Members Chat devoted to seeking mutual assistance is a good idea. It's always worth a try.

Cheers, Darren

Edited by TR5tar

Well over here we have our own Triumph Club and its our policy to help other Members who are not so good with the Tools,once a Month on a Thursday Night we have a Tech Night in some Members Garage also on a Saturday we would also organize a Garage Visit we actually had one on Saturday just gone to see how Bren was getting on with a Mini hes restoring for the Euro Mini Meet this year as youll see from the Photos,Sausages were an TReat.

Edited by TR NIALL

Hi Niall

Your arrangements are pretty close to what I was envisaging. Good for you lot! But how much spanner work is actually done as opposed to

sampling liffey water with the rest of the crew? Anyway sounds like I should bring my 4A to your garage for its next plug change.

Simon

Well over here we have our own Triumph Club and its our policy to help other Members who are not so good with the Tools,once a Month on a Thursday Night we have a Tech Night in some Members Garage also on a Saturday we would also organize a Garage Visit we actually had one on Saturday just gone to see how Bren was getting on with a Mini hes restoring for the Euro Mini Meet this year as youll see from the Photos,Sausages were an TReat.

That looks great fun. I'm going to suggest it to our local group.

Cheers, Darren

Hi NiallYour arrangements are pretty close to what I was envisaging. Good for you lot! But how much spanner work is actually done as opposed tosampling liffey water with the rest of the crew? Anyway sounds like I should bring my 4A to your garage for its next plug change.Simon

On a Thursday Night we don’t have much Time as we meet for 7.30 and finish for 9.30ish for Tea and Bickies so would normally do Tappets,Plugs Points,Electrickery or just a Chat on a certain Car related problem,on the Saturday it’s get Stuck in Day where anything could happen we also do 2 Car Assesment Days during the year where some of the more knowlagble of us Check other Cars over as we have no MOTs for over 30s,yes we do sign a Disclaimer weather it’s of any use or not but it just might save a Claim against one of us.

Bren Wall’s=Red TR7V8 the other Bren is Acting the Chef.

Nice place with lots of room and I see ha has a couple of saloons and a spit too!

Stuart.