Sidescreen TRs and rack and pinion steering

Having put my lawyers hat back on temporarily to read the new DVLA guidelines on what, after the 18th May, will constitute a "Historic Vehicle" exempt from MOT if over 40 years old, it seems to me that there will be a problem for all sidescreen TRs fitted with rack and pinion steering......has anyone else thought of this?

The guidelines quite specifically say that "alteration of the type or method of steering DOES constitute a material change", ie one that will prevent the TR so modified from claiming MOT exemption....but worse than that, pre 1960 TRs with rack and pinion that were formerly MOT exempt WILL now need one !!! HMMM....law of unintended consequences anyone?

There are two potential "get-outs" to this problem....one if it can be shown that this type of modification was being done within 10 years of the vehicle type ceasing production, ie 1972 in this case....well, it wasn't-I was there and I know of no case where anyone did this at that time, nor were any kits available for at least another 15 years.

Two-- if the mod can be shown, in respect of "axles and running gear" (does that include steering? it doesn't say) to have improved "efficiency, safety or environmental performance".....well, in my view, that is very subjective and arguable.....there's nothing wrong with the original steering in my view, and you could argue that cars with steering deviating from the manufacturer's spec are LESS safe inherently, and less efficient in that the steering lock on rack and pinion cars is in my experience always rubbish compared to original steering TRs....

So looks like ALL sidescreen TRs modified with rack and pinion steering might always need MOTs.....I can see the value of those old RHD steering boxes/columns propped in the corner of the garage rising exponentially.....

What fun, eh? Bill Piggott

Hi Bill,

I've been waiting for someone to bring this one up . . . well done !

There are other potential minefields in terms of 'substantial' change that may not be regarded as 'acceptable' . . . . . telescopic shocker conversions, for one example, uprated driveshafts for another, replacement of IRS diffs by those of other manufacturers (eg BMW), fitment of 5 speed gearboxes from BMW, Ford, Toyota or whoever.

Originality might well command an increasing premium in the resale market ?

Cheers,

Alec

The simple solution is to get the vehicle MOT'd.

Rgds Ian

Exactly. This stops all arguments and besides that why would you not.

Stuart.

Bill - although a number of the R&P conversions do increase the (already large) turning circle of the sidescreen cars, I know of one from a very well-known supplier which does not - and there may be others of which I am unaware.

I have always advised purchasers of R&P conversions to ask of the supplier, "what will be the turning circle after conversion?"

Ian Cornish

As I see it, the MOT is not (or should not be) an issue, we should all have one anyway, but as noted above, the possibility of loosing the original registration, & of course having to start paying for the road fund licence again.

Bob.

I posted this question, amongst other "improvement" mods when this all came up in these forums some while back.

I think the latest guidance on significant change suggests that it is not as bad as feared.

I will of course continue to get the TR2 MOT tested annually, but it was the right to the registration that was my earlier concern too.

Edit - I found that thread from last year: www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/63529-mot-requirement/

Sorry I don't seem to be able to copy and paste links to other threads anymore?

Edited by Rod1883

These guidelines are for 'Vehicles of Historic Interest' rather than Historic Vehicle as there is a significant difference. VHI is an MoT exemption class and has nothing to do (although never say never) with registration and tax whereas HV is a taxation class. So it will be possible to have a Historic Vehicle which is not a Vehicle of Historic Interest.

What will happen from May is that on renewing your tax (free) for a 40 year old vehicle you will have to declare that the vehicle is a VHI (and hence MoT exempt) by reference to the guidelines. If in any doubt you are directed to the vehicle club although how they will have any more knowledge is beyond me. There are no further checks planned.

I would be concerned that if the DVLA decide at some stage to check up on a vehicle for whatever reason and then decide that the vehicle does not qualify where does that leave the owner and for that matter the club if they have advised the owner.

It just shows how different governments implement EU directives as Sweden is making all 40 year old vehicles MoT exempt for easier administration, something that our DfT will not countenance (no tangents regarding leaving the EU please).

Mike

Latest information from FBHVC on Roadworthiness Testing can be found in pages 8-10 of their newsletter Issue 1 2018 - http://www.fbhvc.co.uk/members-pages/newsletter-archive/

As a reminder the Substantial Change Guidance is here - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/670431/vehicles-of-historical-interest-substantial-change-guidance.pdf

There are two potential "get-outs" to this problem....one if it can be shown that this type of modification was being done within 10 years of the vehicle type ceasing production, ie 1972 in this case....well, it wasn't-I was there and I know of no case where anyone did this at that time, nor were any kits available for at least another 15 years.

Hi Bill

I note your comment re no such mods happening within 10yrs of manufacture........I know of one TR2 that was converted in the very early 60's.......will this help? If so let me know.

Iain

Edited by iain

The VHI Substantial Change Guidance document states that a change is NOT substantial when made. . . . .

" in respect of axles and running gear changes made to improve efficiency, safety or environmental performance; "

Surely rack and pinion steering must represent a change to running gear which improves both efficiency and safety, thereby making the vehicle (in this respect) exempt from requiring an MOT ????

Or am I showing my naivety of legalese ??

Chris

Chris I would agree with the sentiment but to quote

"Axles and running gear – alteration of the type and or method of suspension or steering constitutes a substantial change;"

I think that is pretty explicit, hence the need to prove it if we can, that R and P was a conversion in the period allowed.

Iain

Yes Iain, I agree that proving R and P steering conversion was a modification which was allowed within the specified period would allow exemption, but the point I am making is the exact opposite of Bill's original argument that the conversion did not improve safety or efficiency (which in themselves would grant MOT exemption). If this is true, then WHY would the conversion be made in the first place - to decrease safety and reliability ?? If you were to ask the majority of owners who have converted to R and P why they bothered (and it seems a very popular modification these days) then I'm sure 99% would argue it was a safer and more efficient mechanical set-up.

I suspect Bill is playing Devil's Avocado here !

Chris

The TR3 BETA was, I believe, built with R & P steering although not production cars but could be regarded as a modification in period (to improve safety & efficiency!!??)

Just checked and Bill's 'Original' book confirms BETA was so fitted.

Anyway, the TR4 certainly had R & P and it's nothing more than a rebodied 3A really!! I don't think they replaced the old worm & peg box to save money - so why did they? Could be because it's better.

Cheers,

Phil.

The TR4's chassis was a TR3A chassis with box sections added to widen the front track, and the outriggers extended to support the wider body. No change was necessary to the mountings of the rear axle - the axle itself was widened, but the mountings to the springs and dampers remained in the same position as on the TR3A. Throughout TR4 production, this remained the arrangement.

Could one argue that this demonstrates an improvement engineered on the TR3A chassis & steering, introduced in 1961?

Ian Cornish

• 1 month later...

There are three 'Criteria' when considering eligibility for 'Exemption from MOT', namely:

1. 'Components' considered when determining eligibility on the basis of substantial change, excepting
  2. 'Categories' of acceptable (i.e. not substantial) changes and
  3. 'Types of vehicle' (such as Q plates, kit cars) which are deemed to have been substantially changed and will not be exempt from MOT testing.

The second of the three Components, i.e. Axles and running gear , is clearly defined to include steering. It follows that any use of this Component title can be interpreted as including steering.

Changes to steering (e.g. R&P conversion) therefore puts eligibility for exemption at risk - but subject to application of the second Criterion of 'acceptable (i.e. not substantial) changes'.

I changed my steering to R&P when restoring my then basket case TR3. I was prompted to do this because the column had been bent as a result of the previous owner having forgotten to unbolt the column from the dash before attempting to lift off the body!

Leaving aside whether or not one thinks having an MOT is a good idea regardless of exemption, and yes a well maintained original steering is fine too, I would argue that R&P is an acceptable change under the following Categories as a replacement original steering column is not 'readily' available, and secondly there are good efficiency and safety benefits.

The following are considered acceptable (not substantial) changes if they fall into these specific categories:

• changes that are made to preserve a vehicle, which in all cases must be when original type parts are no longer reasonably available;

Bill Piggott's comment on the effect of demand exceeding supply on the price of an original column supports this view.

As for the other Category

• in respect of axles and running gear changes made to improve efficiency, safety or environmental performance;

Efficiency - the ratio of the useful work done by a machine, engine, device, etc, to the energy supplied to it. Well it sure is easier to turn the wheel.

Safety - having a split column is potentially a good thing in a head on collision isn't it?

Hi Guys

Could one argue that The conversion to R&P was for medical reasons, e.g. it is easier to turn the steering for somebody with a problem in their arms. ( old age may not be an answer, that lets me out!)

Dave