I am considering fitting Spax adjustable front shock absorbers to the TR2 and new coil springs.

I have used Spax (mainly because they are easy to adjust) on various Spitfires for many years (usually with slightly uprated and slightly lowered coil springs) and have found that set up a big improvement in road holding and cornering. I usually adjust the Spax at about four "clicks" which is firm but not too hard for normal driving.

My question is, what are the best coil springs to use to give me a similar result?

Regards, Colin

Whatever springs you use need to be matched to the rears if terminal understeer is to be avoided.

I use Revingtons fast road/rally springs. 160lb rear and 450lb fronts with Spax shock absorbers. Firm without being harsh.

Hi Drewmotty,

450Ib front sounds a much.

It is just that sometimes the front feels a bit soft and since I am rebuilding the front end I am trying to work out which way to go.

Any advice welcome.

Regards, Colin

Hi Colin,

Moss show 310lbs as standard and 390lbs as the next stage up. It doesn't show the length etc.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/steering-suspension/front-suspension/front-suspension-tr2-3a-tr4.html

I'm sure Revington have another selection

https://www.revingtontr.com/search.asp?for=front%20road%20springs&cartype=tr2

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Hi Roger,

Thanks for that. I have seen that but they don't give much info.

I have just read in the old Moss Triumphtune catalogue that the TR2 and 3s should have the slightly increased rate front coil springs (310lb or 390lb) and adjustable shocks. to cope with modern day traffic speeds.

"modern day traffic speeds" sounds a bit old fashioned. It is an old catalogue. I wonder do moss have a current version.

Regards, Colin

If you are thinking of changing the rears as well, I am about to be selling a pair of Moss uprated rear springs TT4016.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/leaf-spring-rear-competition-tt4016.html?assoc=118646

They are 3½ years old, I have just taken them off my '3 because I will never be doing any comp work, and SWMBO prefers a softer ride !

Have now fitted standard springs.

They are as good as when I fitted them (ride height not changed) Looking for around half the new price.

Cheers

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the offer but no-thanks. I just want to achieve reasonably good road holding without the suspension being too hard.

Regards, Colin