Racetorations Bucket Seats

I also have MX5 seats in mine (from a 95 limited edition, leather with separate headrests), and they are very comfortable. I also used a mounting kit from Patton Machine (here in the US), that use the existing mounting holes.

Jim

http://www.pattonmachine.com/Miata-Brackets.htm

Thanks for all the useful comments and suggestions.

Alec makes a good point especially considering the cost of these seats, and if they don't happen to suit there's not much you can do about it but count your losses.

Stuart, I'll take your advice seriously and think I'll go the MX5 route as nobody on here seems to be unhappy with them. OEM stuff is usually the best, but there is one comment on here about them being a bit too high in the TR ?

So I'll look around for a black leather or cloth set if possible, ( did they make them in black vinyl), and is there a TR supplier who is already set up to re-cover or modify these for the period white piping edges?

Anyone have a set for sale and do both Mk1 and Mk2 seats do the job?

Regards

Kevin

Regarding the piping, Paul Bishop just asked me which colour piping i wanted - i chose white to match the rest of the interior - i don't think you need a TR-specific supplier

MkI's have the headrest incorporated in the seat-back, MkII's have a separate, removable and adjustable headrest.

...... Andy

A cheaper option for the Revington seats is the Cobra Classic from Merlin Motorsport. I have had them in the 4A for several years & have been happy with them. I have Ridgards in the 4 which were fitted by the previous owner. Also pleased with them.

Cheers.

A cheaper option for the Revington seats is the Cobra Classic from Merlin Motorsport. I have had them in the 4A for several years & have been happy with them. I have Ridgards in the 4 which were fitted by the previous owner. Also pleased with them.

Cheers.

A good point Monty prior to the Racetorations seats mine had Cobra Cub seats but by the time I got the car the foam had lost its oomph. They are now languishing in the garage rafters but I suppose they could be resuscitated if someone wants them.......

Thanks for all the useful comments and suggestions.

Alec makes a good point especially considering the cost of these seats, and if they don't happen to suit there's not much you can do about it but count your losses.

Stuart, I'll take your advice seriously and think I'll go the MX5 route as nobody on here seems to be unhappy with them. OEM stuff is usually the best, but there is one comment on here about them being a bit too high in the TR ?

So I'll look around for a black leather or cloth set if possible, ( did they make them in black vinyl), and is there a TR supplier who is already set up to re-cover or modify these for the period white piping edges?

Anyone have a set for sale and do both Mk1 and Mk2 seats do the job?

Regards

Kevin

Paul Bishop will do them in a style to match original TR seats with whatever piping you require and If required Im sure will fit slightly thinner squab section so you sit lower, My original cloth ones are fine for me and Im tall. I also use the brackets that are described in the Technicalities CD as I believe them to be the strongest option and they fit the original mounting holes too.The entire article gives you chapter and verse for fitting and modifying the original runners that you need to make sure come with the seats.

You could also talk to MX5 City who do refurbed seats, I have heard good reports about them too.

Stuart.

Cheers.

They arent good if you are a big bloke, ask Martin Jay (Distributor Doctor) as he even took a portapower to his to try and widen them and in the end gave up and went to MX ones for his 3a.

Stuart.

I fitted Bob Ridgard seats to my TR5 many years ago and Bob widened the passenger seat due to a injury to my better half.Years later due to difficulty in getting in and out and using race harnesses my wife had, had enough. These seats are extremely comfortable! I removed these and the roll over cage along with the harnesses and spoke to Paul Bishop about his bespoke leather MX5 seats.I ordered a pair with white piping and headrest's along with the seat brackets to fit in the standard mounting holes.I duly fitted them and they are really comfortable and have done thousands of miles in them. Both type of seats are very good. The MX5 suits us both so a happy bunny.It now seems to be a standard fitment in many TR'S that I have seen and it tells in own story.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter

Hi Harry

Well that's another good endorsement for MX5 seats.

Andy had mentioned Paul Bishop previously on this thread, and can I assume Paul will re-cover the whole seat in new leather with white piping ? There are quite a few around for sale, but if the bolsters for instance or the base are a bit on the worn side, I assume this can also be repaired by Paul ?

If that's the case then I needn't worry to much about the condition as purchased?

Regards

Kevin

Kevin,

When I was having my TR4 interior re-done in blue leather,

I bought some extra matching hide and had Paul Bishop

make up some MX5 seats for me.

I specified the width of the panels to match/reflect TR4

seats - I was very happy with the end result (although

I have the standard seats in at the moment)

post-3552-0-80765600-1516780779_thumb.jpg post-3552-0-18316500-1516780799_thumb.jpg

I think Paul now offers this pattern but I'm sure he can

make up whatever you want.

Obviously, bespoke could cost a little more, but not so

much as his seats are hand-made anyway.

AlanR

Talk to Paul and he will advise but the seats often turn up in reasonable condition anyway. Make sure they have runners with them too.

Stuart.