Chassis dimensions

Hello guys,

I would like to know the distance between the 2 extremities of the lower fulcrum pins (the ones who are welded to the turrets), left to right.

It's seems that the TR2 I'm working on suffered seriously during its years of rallying in Africa !

One important point : the body is bolted to the chassis, and my plans are not to move it :unsure:

Edited by Chris59

Attached is the chassis drawing from TR2 Workshop Manual 502602, 3rd edition. Its size meant that I had to scan it in 2 parts.

I believe that you can purchase the Manual via the club's website.

Ian Cornish

post-4157-0-24970600-1516288212_thumb.jpg

post-4157-0-77548200-1516288235_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ian, it's exactly what I need.

The bad news is that the chassis is, as expected, bent :( .

See your pm, Chris, for an online link to the TR2-3 Owners Guide and Factory Workshop Manual, aka "The Bentley Book" from the years it was published as one set by that Boston-based company.

I suspect if you look down on through the engine compartment as the lower inner wishbone mountings you will find the rear is further in than the front, typical of a hit on that side. I have had to deal with this a number of times. Easiest way is pull the engine and remove the whole mounting section which is the engine mounting plate and the lower cross pin and while that is out its not that hard then to remove the twist on the turret and then replace the complete engine mounting/lower pin assembly complete from CTM.

See pictures.

Stuart.

post-3753-0-09543100-1516354871_thumb.jpg

post-3753-0-19658800-1516354877_thumb.jpg

post-3753-0-15728300-1516354883_thumb.jpg

post-3753-0-43791700-1516354889_thumb.jpg

Edited by stuart

Stuart - excellent advice and photos to illustrate both the problem and the solution. May I suggest that you pass this to Mike Jennings, the club's new(ish) Technical Editor.

Ian Cornish

Thanks my Cornish friend, I'll follow this route : indeed the rear was further in than the front, but (in Africa ??) someone bent it out, so the pin is not straight anymore.

It's time to have a look on CTM website, or to butcher one of my own spare chassis.....

Thanks my Cornish friend, I'll follow this route : indeed the rear was further in than the front, but (in Africa ??) someone bent it out, so the pin is not straight anymore.

It's time to have a look on CTM website, or to butcher one of my own spare chassis.....

The complete assembly from Colin is an easier route as often the lower pin is pretty rotten on the threaded portion or the next section of the pin where the inner wishbone bush sits will also be heavily corroded too.

Stuart.

Mmmmmmmmmh, CTM' website seems to be from a previous century, can't tell if it is 19th or 20th.... :rolleyes:

Mmmmmmmmmh, CTM' website seems to be from a previous century, can't tell if it is 19th or 20th.... :rolleyes:

FYI, Chris, here's the site of the most-used replacement frame company in the US:

https://www.sites.google.com/site/tonyratco/

TBH I just ring up Colin as its far easier. I know your written English is better than your spoken Chris so if you want me to talk to them I can.

Stuart

Thanks again for the link Don, their products are really different compare to originals chassis !

@ Stuart, thanks for the kind offer : I've already sent a request via their "website", I'll let you know if I get a reply.

TBH I just ring up Colin as its far easier. I know your written English is better than your spoken Chris so if you want me to talk to them I can.

Stuart

Stuart, it seems that I'll need your help, please see pm !