Just reported another 3 TR6 adds..

Its going to be a case of who gets fed up first, us keep reporting them or the 'seller' I did see the Safron TR6 went to £550 or so before it got withdrawn, so somebody must be bidding. I just hope they were deliberately wasting the listers time, and not going to get caught out.

If Im browsing and come across one of the scams I bid the highest amount I can... normally 100k ???? its become a bit of a game and also protects the innocent ????

Scammer

And again. The way u k appears and the 99p are the giveaways. Together with the same pictures.

post-14544-0-97665900-1519070174_thumb.png

post-14544-0-78110700-1519070186_thumb.png

Scammer

And again. The way u k appears and the 99p are the giveaways. Together with the same pictures.

99p man has woken up (or read this thread)? He has upped the stakes and his bids now start at £2 - its a war of attrition - hes not scared - he might even change tactics and go to £3 if pushed....

Nice.... just bid a cool 50k for it.... should waste his time for a bit... anyone fancy a bidding war ????????????

Nice.... just bid a cool 50k for it.... should waste his time for a bit... anyone fancy a bidding war

What happens if the item runs to the end and you end up the winning bidder do you get a 'non payment' penalty ?

No bothered really, eBay users rarely look at they stuff... and very much doubt the scammrr will bother doing anything... bidded on loads of the scamming stuff of late only to see it taken off and not winning ????????

Unlikely to be banned for bidding on an item gets removed ????

Edited by Nickffc

Apparently everyone knows something I don't about this sort of thing.

I must admit I would have assumed that the seller was attempting to generate some excitement and a bidding frenzy by starting low.

I will admit that even auctions that seem legitimate apparently have the owner bidding on his own car, based on the number of people with zero transaction history bidding repeatedly against themselves on the car. I also feel that when the identity of the bidders is concealed, that something dishonest is going on - why on earth would anyone feel the need to hide the identity of the bidders unless they wish to conceal the fact that someone with no history is bidding repeatedly on the car?

Lots of ways to scam the unsuspecting bidder.

I spotted a car on eBay that explicitly stated there was no VIN on the vehicle. eBay's policy expressly forbids selling cars without a VIN. I reported the car to eBay, and they replied that unless I had a police report indicating the car was stolen, they would not remove the posting. So even eBay doesn't care about scammers very much. <sigh>

Vance

Apparently everyone knows something I don't about this sort of thing.

I must admit I would have assumed that the seller was attempting to generate some excitement and a bidding frenzy by starting low.

I will admit that even auctions that seem legitimate apparently have the owner bidding on his own car, based on the number of people with zero transaction history bidding repeatedly against themselves on the car. I also feel that when the identity of the bidders is concealed, that something dishonest is going on - why on earth would anyone feel the need to hide the identity of the bidders unless they wish to conceal the fact that someone with no history is bidding repeatedly on the car?

Lots of ways to scam the unsuspecting bidder.

I spotted a car on eBay that explicitly stated there was no VIN on the vehicle. eBay's policy expressly forbids selling cars without a VIN. I reported the car to eBay, and they replied that unless I had a police report indicating the car was stolen, they would not remove the posting. So even eBay doesn't care about scammers very much. <sigh>

Vance

Hi Vance,

The normal give away is the cheap "buy it now" price for the car.

Then "i'm selling for a family member".....

Car is normally miles away from where the seller is based...making hard to view. Excuses and reasons putting you off viewing the car when you want to see it.ie for you the car would be in Anchorage !!

Sometimes a large deposit is required to hold the car for you once sold.

​look at the other vehicles available. All selling for stupid low prices and the photos of the cars are never at the same place.How many cars does his / her family need to sell !!

Contact the seller through an email address provided at the end of the item description.

and with the current scammer....."thank you for understanding"

Was this a bargain, or is there something I'm missing?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1973-MGB-GT-57-000-miles-SOLD-subject-to-collection/332567382216?hash=item4d6e8f88c8:g:t3UAAOSwRbZalTs6

Didn't look like a scam.

Alan

Given the seller was recommending viewing and offering test drive would say, IMHO, that this was a good'un

The seller had his phone number in the advert, so I guess someone phoned up and a deal was done under the counter, to save eBay fees.

I’m not a great fan of eBay fees, but I always think doing that sort of thing is a bit sneaky. The seller probably thinks he’s really smart, but at the end of the day it’s dishonest.

Charlie D.