eBay

£3999 ... seriously, do these people think we are that stupid....!

On another note.... is this your car they are using a picture of ?????

Nick

Just had a look at ‘seller’s other items’ and there’s a multitude of differing vehicles with completely differing backgrounds... I’ve notice this a few times over recent weeks/months...

Cheers

Ian

Pic

Edited by Nickffc

Yes normal for this type of scum..... unfortunately some poor bugger will think he’s hit the jackpot

Now for something completely the same.

Recently the Triumph Experience, our US cousins, had a post in every one of its forums offering to provide false papers, driving licences, passports, social security cards etc. etc. for money. All obviously criminal and now removed.

It's a wicked world, my masters.

John

Can somebody explain to Mr Naive here what the scam is? Is it finding a picture and then making a daft pricing and pushing for a deposit?

Yep - and once paid disappearing with your cash!

What happens is.... they will sell you the car for stood low money, you pay them either by bank transfer to an Irish bank or a dogey PayPal account that they say is guaranteed on the promise of if you dont like the car they come and collect it and you can have your money back... when you try things like, can I come to see it they will come up with some old bollocks about... it for a very ill friend and it locked away somewhere but everything is legit and please pay the money and the car is yours...we live in Spain so cant be there to deliver personals but have a trusted transportation implant that will do the deal.... blah blah blah...

The moral is... if its to good to true.... run away... ????

Yeah I saw.... Ive put a bid in so no unsuspecting person gets stung... think I might win with a bid if £55,555. ????

Actually.... someone outbid me and Ill bump it up even more.... lets get this nob a million quid....????????????‍♀????

crap.... i tried bidding on all his items... can only do one at a time..

All

This is the trouble with these big tech companies, they make it all too easy for dodgy scammers, who've always been there, but its now easier and more anonymous.

But all the ads seem to have now gone, probably turn up under a diff name tomorrow.

I could have a rant about all these big tech companies but i can't be bothered i just don't use them.

Keith

Along these very lines, I had a scammer try to sell me a nice red TR6 supposedly at an adress in the US a couple of years ago. Very good pictures supplied but I new by the price that it was a scam so searched google and easily found the the very same car for sale on a UK classic car site at market price.

Knowing that, I exchanged emails with the scammer for several weeks, asking for a physical address, then saying I was going to be over there on business so could he pick me up and take me for an inspection. My story was nonesense of course, but I was determined to get one over him. Long story short, I almost did this by telling him that I had the US$10k he wanted in cash but I couldn't take it into the bank because it was from dubious sources and the IRS (IRD over here) would pick up on it. I told him the only way I could possibly do it was to Fedex him the cash but because there is no Fedex branch in our region I was unable to purchase a package. The only way we could do it at all would be for him to send me a self-adressed courier pack and the clown agreed to do it!

Unfortunately, this is where my clever plan fell over. I tend to keep my beloved in the picture with most everything and she too was enjoying the back and forth banter, but there was no way in hell I was allowed to give him either my home or business adresses for fear of a 'reprisal'. I was gutted that I had come so close to conning him, but by this time I was growing weary of the whole thing so told him his game was up see ya later...

This was all before I purchased the car I have now and at that time I was pretty desperate to get one. I'd been looking at cars across the water in Australia and I'm pretty sure this guy picked up on one of the several enquiries I had made for listings on Gumtree.

Gavin

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately eBay is plagued at present, also classic bikes. One seller had three pages of listings camper vans bikes cars everything 99p start no reserve.

Paul

Edited by Paul J

They are popping up all the time at the moment as has been noted.

But I keep reporting them every time.

H

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

The questions is why don't these big tech companies bother to try to tackle the problem themselves?

After all they have the technology to track me round the internet and sell companies my data for targeted ads based on what i've been looking at and thats where they get their income stream from.

So why don't they use their powerful algorithms to search for and stop these scammers?

If we can spot them surely they can.

Oh forgot there's no profit in it for them, doh.

Keith