TR2 Door Latch and Pull

Hello,

I am new to the forum and indeed new to the TR world. In my early 20's I bought an MG Midget which had undergone an Arkley SS conversion. It was pretty ropey, but I used it daily for commuting and just pleasurable open-top enjoyment. I eventually became eligible for a company car at my place of work, so the Arkley was sold and gone forever.

Many years have past and, approaching retirement, the thought of regaining my youth (ha !) through ownership of an open sports car somehow loomed large in my mind. A Frogeye Sprite was my first thought, but as I researched more and more classic car websites I was drawn to the TR's. That was November 2017.

Fast forward to January 2018 and I find I have commissioned a complete rebuild of a 1955 TR2 at a price which makes my wife's eyes water - still, it is my pension fund I keep telling myself. I have since become totally obsessive about every detail of the car, even though initially I just wanted a 'drivable' TR and had no interest in purist originality.

Which brings me , finally, to my technical query - given that Door Latches for TR2s and early TR3s seem to be unavailable, will the later latch for the TR3A allow the TR2 Door Pull Cord to be fitted - i.e. on the surface of the door panel rather than 'hidden' inside. Is it feasible to convert the latch if neccessary ?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Apologies for the pointless rambling.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris.

Welcome to the club, & the forum. where abouts are you ?

The answer is "probably" - anything is possible, but why not try to find second hand latches of the right sort.

You could try the "TR shop", they have good stocks of SH parts, or you may well find that as a result of this thread someone on here will come to your rescue.

Good luck

Bob.