Head Gasket?

i'm with Waldi re the thermostat. Especially after standing for a while.Mine has done this 3 times after a lay up.I notice that he dose not say what reading on the temp gauge.

Also check the rad cap is long enough to seal and the rad neck top is flat there by giving a good seal.

ROY

i'm with Waldi re the thermostat. Especially after standing for a while.Mine has done this 3 times after a lay up.I notice that he dose not say what reading on the temp gauge.

Also check the rad cap is long enough to seal and the rad neck top is flat there by giving a good seal.

Hi Roy.

I did say the temperature gauge remained cold, as does the radiator.

ROY

Hi Roy. I did say the temperature gauge didn't move, and reads cold. The water in the radiator was cold too!

Peter any update on this? Interested to hear the prognosis.

Darren

Peter any update on this? Interested to hear the prognosis.

Darren

Hi All.

After thinking I had cured the problem with the simplest ( new rad cap) of fixes, I've discovered today I haven't!

After replacing the radiator cap, all seemed well. Ran the car for 15 / 20 mins and both the radiator got hot, and the temperature gauge registered to half way position. Happy days I thought...

Tried the car again today, and whilst the car appeared to be OK, there was a point when the temperature gauge went from the half way point, backwards towards 'cold'

I also noticed there does appear to be a lot ( much more than 'normal') more smoke / steam / fumes coming from the exhaust ???

Due to my severe lack of mechanical knowledge, I'm now a 100% certain that I've absolutely no idea what I'm doing, or even looking at!

The temperature gauge going backwards could just be the point where the thermostat opened - there would be colder water then coming from the radiator until the whole thing heats up.

When I had all the problems with BUO she was spirting water out of the overflow bottle but the temp gauge only ever reached 'normal' the cause was the hole in the bottom of the thermostat housing was blocked.

Peter,

Did you have coolant escaping from the bottle again?

The large amount of steam could just be the fact it's pretty cold at the moment.

Darren

I turned the engine off the moment I saw the coolant creeping along the overflow pipe, and was pretty sure it would have resulted in overflowing altogether.

I did think about the exhaust 'emissions' being more apparent due to the outside temperature too...That was the point I realised I don't even know what I'm looking at!

The temperature gauge on most old engines goes backwards when the thermostat opens and lets cold water from the radiator into the engine. If you replace the thermostat check the temperature stamped on the old one to make sure it matches what your local ambient conditions require and also see if it has a clear small vent hole-it may be your problem.

I'd still try running the engine without a thermostat to see if the problem goes away. Some people use a new gasket every time they break the thermostat housing joint, I generally get away with using the old gasket and Permatex Aviation Gasket Sealant #3.

When you replace the thermostat don't forget to bleed the air from the system by running the engine with the heater on full and the radiator cap off until it warms up. Add coolant if any large air bubbles are vented out and the coolant level subsequently drops.

Edited by Mike C

The temperature gauge on most old engines goes backwards when the thermostat opens and lets cold water from the radiator into the engine. If you replace the thermostat check the temperature stamped on the old one to make sure it matches what your local ambient conditions require and also see if it has a clear small vent hole-it may be your problem.

I'd still try running the engine without a thermostat to see if the problem goes away. Some people use a new gasket every time they break the thermostat housing joint, I generally get away with using the old gasket and Permatex Aviation Gasket Sealant #3.

When you replace the thermostat don't forget to bleed the air from the system by running the engine with the heater on full and the radiator cap off until it warms up. Add coolant if any large air bubbles are vented out and the coolant level subsequently drops.

I'll give it a go. Thanks!

You can get a test kit which indicates if you have a blown head gasket. You draw off a sample of coolant and if it turns yellow it indicates the exhaust gases are in the coolant. It might be worth trying this first.

I turned the engine off the moment I saw the coolant creeping along the overflow pipe, and was pretty sure it would have resulted in overflowing altogether.

I did think about the exhaust 'emissions' being more apparent due to the outside temperature too...That was the point I realised I don't even know what I'm looking at!

It is supposed to expand into the overflow bottle as the engine warms up. Then on cool down it is drawn back into the radiator providing you have the correct two way radiator cap fitted. If you do not then it is a one way trip for the coolant.

Apologies if Im stating the obvious.

Edited by peejay4A