Re-fitting door windows

Hi guys

I have stripped and cleaned all the mechanisms on the door.

Can anyone give advice on refitting window please? I am after which order to refit the parts, I am have put the winder mechanism in re-felted the door guides. So one question I have is do I knock the channel piece which has the rubbers that clamp the glass to the glass and then insert into the door or is there another order to go with? Thanks in anticipation.

Rich

post-14945-0-44274400-1515872952_thumb.jpg

Rich I hope you marked the position of the glass in the channel, before you removed it, it must be in the same place.

I fitted the front slide loosely, and the rear one can be fitted after the window is bolted in position.

Not a lot of adjustment is needed in order to get the window to operate properly, the stop upper plate is adjustable.

The bottom one also, but the "Coat hanger" is needed.

Its also easier to fit the top cats whisker and outer rubber rain seal, before setting the lower stop bracket, having the window that little bit lower helps when fitting the pesky Clips.

Wonder of hindsight . . no did not do the markig as you suggest.... Roger also mentioned that just after I knocked the channels off!

So looking at the pic, I attach, which is left and which is right? also what is the two inch channel for?

post-14945-0-31902600-1515873013_thumb.jpg

Edited by AarhusTr6

Hi Mark

Here is a good guide: http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/WindowChannel.htm

So I went into the local DIY store and bought 2metres of Velcro tape, you know the stuff you use for mosquito screens etc

https://www.tesa.com/consumer/tesa-on-off-general-purpose-stick-on-tape.html

The next process is to 100% scrape out the old stuff from the channels, apply a bit of wet n dry, clean with white spirit.

Next is cut the soft part of Velcro to length, then fold it over, ie width wise, then slot it into the runner. Be careful to keep it in the centre. Then using say a back of a knife handle, or something the width of the runner, start rubbing it in place. It may be a few mm short of the sides but that seems not to matter (unless you find slightly wider Velcro maybe) and then basically massage it in place. I did a test and its as smooth as it was in Coventry in 1970!!

Cant take credit - wonderful idea

Edited by AarhusTr6

Cancel silly picture before . . bimbo moment . .

anyway I'd say whoever came up with the idea of the Velcro strip for the door channels is a genius. . . excellent solution.

you can buy the correct channel very cheaply, its land rover window channel, then rivet your top and bottom brackets to it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-SERIES-2-3-TRUCK-CAB-REAR-SLIDING-WINDOW-CHANNEL-SEAL-SET-SCREWS/252241013980?hash=item3ababc6cdc:g:i6sAAOSwL7VWjjNs

Edited by pfenlon