Best Brand of Fuel

Good morning all

Having received edition 299 of my Club Triumph magazine in this morning's post, there was a good article on fuel brands, with particular emphasis on ethanol content.

The article was written around a letter of enquiry sent to 4 well known petrol suppliers in the UK, Esso, Texaco, Total, and BP, and then a summary of a reply from each.

Esso stated that there is 'currently no requirement for renewable fuel such as ethanol to be present in Super Unleaded 97 Octane petrol' and except for Devon, Cornwall, Teesside and Scotland Esso Super Unleaded is ethanol free.

Might be good news for those concerned about the effect of ethanol on our cars.

Kevin

No Esso stations round here. Apart from the supermarkets there is only Shell and BP. Did either of those answer the question Kevin?

No Esso stations round here. Apart from the supermarkets there is only Shell and BP. Did either of those answer the question Kevin?

Hi Rob

Yes BP did respond and their reply was surprisingly ambiguous.

Having stated that the UK Gov have made a requirement to increase the quantity of bio fuel, they go on to say that as a consequence the inclusion of bioethanol is an evolving situation so they cannot give a categoric assurance as to its absence or presence (?), except that BP Ultimate MAY contain up to 5% ethanol.

Esso's response was very emphatic in comparison!

Kevin

Personally I run both the TR and "Darth Vaders Porsche" on Shell V Power and go to BP Ultimate if not available.

I do use Millers additive in the TR, occasionally.

Edited by 4Mal

Thanks.... interesting info, personally I tend to use either Tesco 99 or Shell V-Power - assuming those options are available!

...... Andy

I use Shell V-Power as a preference but will also use any of the 97+ octane brands as all have no more than 5% ethanol. Under 97 octane I can get 'running on' in one of my cars plus the risk that the grade may have more than 5% ethanol.

Cheers.

Kevin

Part from my Bi-anual trip the the Classic LeMans I use nothing other then Esso Super ;):D .

As long as its come from one of their UK terminals B)

I stay away from the other brands as correctly stated they have ethanol in and I keep well away from the super markets fuel as some don't even have performance additives in some at best only have 50% additive added. :o

Edited by Clarkey