Panasports owners .... question -

Figured I'd post a new topic rather than the epic one I have going for this specific query -

Will a set of Panasports bolt up to the 1" standard studs on a TR4? I had about 1.25 to 1.38 from the plate forward from the previous owner and could get about 10-11 revolutions before snug, so would loosing those 2-3 revolutions get me to 1", or do I need 1.25" of thread forward from the hub plate to make the Panasports work? Trying to get an order ready so I know I'll have everything to finish this project. Many thanks.

Don

Can't follow that Don,

What are the 1" standard studs we talking about ? is this the length of stud protruding from out of the hub face ?

1.25 to 1.38 is this inches or revolutions and from what "plate", what is the plate ? is this the hub face ?

"

10-11 revolutions I guess are the nut turns ? and if by loosing 2-3 revolutions that would "get me to 1" does that mean you think that loosing ".25" off stud length (if that's what you mean)protruding from the hub plate ? would allow "blind" that means nuts that don't have holes for the studs to protrude through, to tighten up without binding on the bottom of the blind nut hole ?

Sometimes it's as well to wait and see what you have and build it up before trying to second guess what you may get and then realise the parts bought don't work.

Mick Richards

Yes, standard 7/16 20 studs, which I understand will give me about 1" of post hub face bite. The fronts I just rigged something and with an 1" I'm getting a good 10-11 threaded turns before snug, so the ones that are coming in the new hubs should be fine. The issue is the rears and whether a standard rear stud with about 1" bite from the surface of the hub out will give me enough of a bite (8+ turns on the acorn nut).

Figured someone had panasports here on their TR4 and wanted to know if they swapped out the OE studs for longer ones.

Got to order something for the rears in any event.

Don

Edited by F1loco

Rule of thumb engineering for nut "engagement" onto stud is 1 and one half diameters of threaded dia to be taken up by the nut, in this case a 7/16th stud should have a 7 plus 3.5 nut engaged length of 10.5 lets say 11/16th of stud threaded length for the nut to screw onto. After that it doesn't matter, so a 1" engaged length is well over the minimum.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Rule of thumb engineering for nut "engagement" onto stud is 1 and one half diameters of threaded dia to be taken up by the nut, in this case a 7/16th stud should have a 7 plus 3.5 nut engaged length of 10.5 lets say 11/16th of stud threaded length for the nut to screw onto. After that it doesn't matter, so a 1" engaged length is well over the minimum.

Mick Richards

Many thanks.

As your not going with the standard screw in studs that require a serious machine press peen on the rear then I would go for the studs I previously pointed out to you though they may need a bit of trimming down to fit. I have Minilites on my solid axle 4a and I have the 1/2" longer studs (unfortunately no longer available from that supplier hence my suggestion to trim the 1" longer ones down)

Stuart.