Dash Crash Pads

Hi All

Kind of linked to my tacho problem in a way as I'm rebuilding the dash.

So lower crash pads are on reasonable condition for the age, couple of cracks and small pieces of the central plinth missing but not appaling.

Now i'm trying to use as much of the original cosmetic items as possible rather than simply replace with new, not particularly due to the cost but for the sake of originality.

So looking for some ideas on a cosmetic repair. Anyone know of a flexible filler to fill those very small cracks or an automotive vinyl close to our grain available in the UK i could use, another way to repair these bits or a friendly trimmer who could advise.

I've read Ed's very good sections on both the crash pads and the plinth and think i'll also give somehting a go rather than simply buy new.

As Ed says if i screw it up i can always buy new anyway.

Cheers

Keith

post-13051-0-90363100-1515711552_thumb.jpgpost-13051-0-22815900-1515711578_thumb.jpg

Try some satin black hobby paint applied with a fine brush.

Attached is a photo of my windscreen seal. It had a deep crack in it.

I filled it with black silicone from a tube; good for now.

Cheers

Walt

post-13442-0-03591200-1515725252_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sapphire72

Hi Keith,

I have used a vinyl repair kit from Frost which you might find helpful. Take a look at their website. The kit comprises of a vinyl repair glue and vinyl paste which needs to be heat-cured. You achieve the grain/ texture by applying a patch over the repair after which you use a steam iron to cure the adhesive. The patch peels off immediately leaving you with the grain effect. Whilst the repair isn't invisible you might find it acceptable whist retaining your original crash-pads.

Best Regards, Peter