Rear bumper

I have US import with chassis number CF15423 1974 model. Popped to Rimmer Bros in hope to get a new complete rear bumper. came home with what I thought was right bumper (part no. 920048 for centre section but found this section to be too wide. Call back to Rimmers it appears I need centre section part no. WCK2446 which sadly they inform me they are no longer available. The new corner sections appear OK. Its just the centre section that appears too wide. Has anybody came across this problem, comments would be greatly appreciated.

As far as i'm aware they should all be the same size. Do you have a large gap where the corner bumpers mount on the rear wing? Was a batch of corners bumpers a while ago that were the wrong angle.

Tom

Hi crops ~

It really saddens me that we, the British, cannot obtain the correct parts for our TR's unlike our American friends.

I always wanted 'Fawn' weather equipment for my 3A as per the original. When you bought a new TR you had the choice

of Black, White or Fawn weather equipment. But now it's 'take it or leave it!'

Have you tried Harrington's (Vietnam) Stainless Steel bumpers?

I bought a complete set of their bumpers for my 'E'-type Jaguar ~ they are superb items!

Hope this helps ~

Tom.

Rear bumpers (USA):

The pre-1974.5 rear bumper center section MOUNTING Hole was higher on the bracket than the later bracket mounting holes.

The early bumpers VS the later bumpers- each had to be matched to their accompanying fitting side pieces.

I'm not sure if the actual bumper center section shapes were different, or not.

Try to find a used center section to restore.

Walt

Edited by Sapphire72

I have US import with chassis number CF15423 1974 model. Popped to Rimmer Bros in hope to get a new complete rear bumper. came home with what I thought was right bumper (part no. 920048 for centre section but found this section to be too wide. Call back to Rimmers it appears I need centre section part no. WCK2446 which sadly they inform me they are no longer available. The new corner sections appear OK. Its just the centre section that appears too wide. Has anybody came across this problem, comments would be greatly appreciated.

What is too wide?

If 3 inches too wide they sold you a Saloon centre section.

As stated the most obvious difference is the height of the mounting bolt holes in the bumpers and side sections + As far as I recall the width never changed. The centre bumper to side section joint is in line with the rear wing to rear panel seam. I await correction on this.

Your orig bumper will have a reinforced section welded inside it, doubling its weight and a badge saying TRIUMPH attached.

Peter W

I had this problem with one a while ago, If I remember rightly if you used original side sections you could get away with just adding a few more rubber spacers to the inside of the rear wing where the side mounting bracket butts against the panel and a couple of extra on the outside and it looked OK but if you used the repro quarters as well then it ended up way too wide.

Stuart.

Pete W.

I think you have hit the nail on the head its 3 inch too wide so possible the centre section is for a saloon. I'm going to ring TR shop, London and get them to measure there centre section and see if theres are correct.

Dave Crops