Remanufactured/"new" rear lever arm dampers

hi,does anyone out there have any experience of using / fitting the remanufactured (new) rear lever arm dampers for a TR6 (et al) available via Moss etc? - i am looking to replace my current ones for the coming year (as after 20+ years and 60K+ miles of sterling use the newness is beginning to wear off). But am concerned about the potential quality of these new items plus the fact that they seem to be supplied with a minimum of a 25% stiffer valve "upgrade" which, given the parlous state of the condition of the UK roads, would seem not to be a very good idea - personally.

please note: i am NOT interested in changing to 'telescopics' so please do not come back to me on that topic - only interested to hear from people who are using or have direct experience of these lever arm units.

Thanks in advance

I have had a few issues in recent months with the quality of these dampers.... I have been assured the problem is fixed.

You could also do worse than contacting Stevsons, they will refurb yours

Tom

Hi

Moss also do new standard dampers #20 https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/steering-suspension/rear-suspension/rear-suspension-tr5-6.html

Or if yours are OK except getting old why not get them overhauled - http://www.stevsonmotors.co.uk/Stevson%20Motors%20-%20Homepage.html

will be as good as new. They also do 15% uprated.

Roger

I wonder why so much bad press is given to tele shocks?

I know that one vendor has no qualms about them at all.

unless you know differently?

Out of the 100's we must have fitted, I can't think of a single failure to be honest regarding tele conversions....

Tom

About 4 years ago now I fitted a pair of "25% uprated " lever arms which evidently came from Moss through a dealer because I wanted to preserve the characteristics of the TR6 not go down the telescopic route that I had gone down before. To cut a long story short the levers were so bad I sent them back after a month of poggoing around the lanes. In my estimation they should have been classed as 50% downrated !

I was offered replacements but declined and went back to the telescopic system and everything is just fine and dandy. I was disappointed to say the least. Once bitten and all that...............................

Alan G

Stevsons for pukka refurbishing - good reliable people who do a proper job, in my experience, and for sensible money.

TR Enterprises (Tom Boyd) telescopic conversions mentioned above are decent and reliable from all I've seen and heard - which is a good deal more than some past attempts that I've seen from others . . . . there are of course other good suppliers nowadays, but caveat emptor and I'd suggest seek specific advice here on Forum . . . .

Usual disclaimers,

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Sebring, I am having mine done at Stevsons at the moment, they come well recommended and you get your originals back !

If you need any more info, sent me a pm...I will have a spare pair, if you fancy them.

Sounds like the Bard of Tr6's (Alan G ) had a bad experience, he really does know his stuff.

Cheers,

Conrad.

Hi Pete,

the problem with the Tele conversion, as I see it.

The car was not designed for them for everything has to be done and trialed

There are various ways of mounting the top of the strut - you need a strong attachment to the chassis as per the ever arm. Not bolted to the body work.

The strut must be the correct length or you will snap the back of the TA off.

You end up with at least one of the bump stops removed.

Worst of all; if you have excessive negative camber the tyre will rub on the strut.

As the boot is loaded the camber gets greater and so does the chance of rubbing.

Having said that once sorted correctly they work very well.

Most people compare good struts to worn out lever arms and so think they are better. You need to compare apples with apples.

Good lever arms work very well

Roger

I have fitted some of the new lever arms and havent had a problem with them, FWIW Stevsons only uprate by 15% by the way.Some of the tele conversions are not particularly well engineered so care must be taken when choosing and fitting.

Stuart.

The tyre cannot rub on the damper if the damper is mounted INSIDE the coil spring, and at least one supplier offers such a conversion, which is tried and tested it because he uses it in competition.

Ian Cornish

Hi Ian,

the damper in coil design may have certain advantages but DIY it is not.

It needs a serious application of engineering.

And depending how the body sits on the chassis may not be useable at all.

It does work when fitted well but far too complicated.

Roger

I ordered a new set of 25 percent upgraded lever arms from Moss to replace my existing ones which were rebuilt & upgraded here in Adelaide 14 years ago. After changing them I found the new ones much softer resulting on a more bouncier rear end. On removing and comparing new with old on the bench the new ones were clearly much softer. I am now contemplating the cost of returning them to Moss UK. Nuff said!

I ordered a new set of 25 percent upgraded lever arms from Moss to replace my existing ones which were rebuilt & upgraded here in Adelaide 14 years ago. After changing them I found the new ones much softer resulting on a more bouncier rear end. On removing and comparing new with old on the bench the new ones were clearly much softer. I am now contemplating the cost of returning them to Moss UK. Nuff said!

Hi Colin,

Have you checked the Moss arms to see if they contain fluid. They may have sent them dry!! Bit of a long shot.

I bought a pair of standard lever arms two years ago form Moss and they work fine.

Roger

Roger

Hi Roger

Hardly likely that Moss would supply these "dry". If that was going to be the case then Moss would have to supply instructions etc . When I fitted the Moss 25% uprated (50% downrated) and complained I was told to prime the levers? This made no difference at all and they were pulled. Upon checking before I sent them back they were a lot softer than the standard items I had replaced to begin with. I see Colin White above had the same experience.

Alan G

Roger may be correct if the were sent down under. They would have to be dry if they went airfreight otherwise they would be classed as dangerous goods. That’s a whole different ball game when it comes to shipping....including cost!

Hi,

I also bought the new 25% uprated lever arms from Moss circa 3 years ago thinking I could get back to how the car rode when I first bought it back in the late seventies. What a disappointment it was like floating along on a mattress. I persevered for a while thinking they might improve needless to say I reverted to my old telescopics last year which use TR Bitz brackets and Spax. What a transformation.

My reversion to lever arms was money down the drain as far as I am concerned and I might add they weren't cheap and now sit in the corner of the garage to be put on eBay one of these days.

cheers

Derek

Hi,

I also bought the new 25% uprated lever arms from Moss circa 3 years ago thinking I could get back to how the car rode when I first bought it back in the late seventies. What a disappointment it was like floating along on a mattress. I persevered for a while thinking they might improve needless to say I reverted to my old telescopics last year which use TR Bitz brackets and Spax. What a transformation.

My reversion to lever arms was money down the drain as far as I am concerned and I might add they weren't cheap and now sit in the corner of the garage to be put on eBay one of these days.

cheers

Derek

So why didnt you send them back straight away?

Stuart

Timescales was the reason, bought them in Spring 2014, but for whatever reason eludes me now didn't fit them until the end of the year, ran them during the summer and took them off early 2016 and refitted the brackets and Spax.

Derek

Thank you all for your kind responses, also to those who have sent me p.m.'s.

It's interesting to see the diversity of opinion; for myself i have no particular angst against telescopic conversions - each to their own, it's just that my own particular car retains it's original specification from new; albeit being one of the last of the 150bhp cars (83rd from the end) it has several "crossover parts" fitted by the factory from the later CR model (e.g. matt black wiper arms, hybrid imperial/metric brake callipers etc. etc).

The car has been in my family since it was 16 months old and the original owner was a close family friend - so we know it has not been 'messed with' It has been in my guardianship since 1983, consequently i have a particular "anorak"(even anal) interest in keeping it as close to the original OE specification (as supplied) wherever possible.

Thus i will not be fitting telescopic damper units anytime soon, but i have received some useful p.m.'s regarding the quality of Racetoration's refurbishment service, so i will be exploring that avenue in due course. I also await further p.m. replies / feedback regarding alternative restoration companies.

in addition, albeit with some reservations/"issues", i have received some favourable p.m.'s regarding the new units - so it would appear that it is not all doom and gloom on that front, which has to be good news for the future of parts supply - but from the responses i have had to date the "quality control" - or lack of - from the suppliers/manufacturers seems to be a reoccurring theme - so too with those open replies on the forum.

I would be happy to receive further correspondence from people who have purchased the new units, as this is the area i am most interested in.

thanks again.

best wishes and happy TR'ing

Sebring