New or Recon Clutch Plate

I need a replacement clutch plate and was looking at the options. It seems that they are available new or, for a bit more money, reconditioned. This pricing would imply that reconditioned units maybe better than the new offering.

Does anyone have any experience which might confirm this?

Thanks.

Hi Andrew,

I occasionally mention Precision Clutch on this Forum - http://www.precisionclutch.co.uk/ - for clutch reconditioning.

I've used PC for probably 35 years, proper blokes who do a proper job for sensible money . . . . no of course they're not the cheapest, but I reckon jolly good value for what I've always found to be a bombproof quality product.

They've looked after an awful lot of us TR folks for decades, and they're very quick and efficient.

Simon is the manager, good lad.

Usual disclaimers !

Cheers,

Alec

Andrew,

If you still have the spring clutch it might be worth considering a TrR6 diaphragm conversion - I did my 3A about 10 years ago and haven't looked back.

Cheers

Andrew

Is there anything special to be considered changing to a diaphragm clutch?

To fit the TR6 diaphragm clutch, you need to

remove and re-drill the flywheel.

Or - you could buy a ready-drilled lightened

flywheel.

The diaphragm clutch is lighter, designed to

take more power and the balance is better.

AlanR

P.S. As an afterthought, back in the day (70s)

when I was running a TR6 as everyday transport,

I was led to believe that for a TR2/3/4 (standard

clutch), you needed to fit a return spring to the

clutch slave arm, whereas with a TR6 (diaphragm

clutch) a return spring was NOT to be fitted.

Why ?

Edited by TR 2100

Beware of the Lightweight Steel Flywheels about 9 lb ,had one fitted when my TR4 engine was rebuilt, the pick on acceleration was excellent but the drop off was dramatic ok for competition use but not really suitable for road use, I am currently fitting my old flywheel which I have had lightened from 32 lbs to 19 lbs

Cheers Chris.

Is there anything special to be considered changing to a diaphragm clutch?

Apart from the a few minor modifications to the flywheel mentioned above you will also need to either machine your 23/8"front extension down to 2" or buy the 2" extension from Moss, see: https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/extension-front-cover-100157.html

Also, as Alan points out above there is no need to fit a return spring to the clutch slave arm.

Cheers

Andrew

Looks like my current gearbox has the short nose and has been working happily with an early type clutch. Should I be using the long nose or is the short nose suitable for either of the clutch types?

Moss show only one extension

#60 https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/clutch-transmission-drivetrain/gearboxes-components/gearboxes-external-components-tr2-4a.html

Roger