Float chamber banjo washers

Hello folks

The fibre washers on one carb. were leaking on the banjo fitting atop the float bowl. I bought new washers (Rimmers) for both carbs. Fitted them, did not overtighten and now they both leak, even after a re-tighten they still leaked. Disconnected them, cleaned the banjo surfaces etc, turned the washers around - they still leak. The frustrating thing about this is that previously I have disconnected the banjo's successive times, re-connected without renewing the washers and they have not leaked. Does anyone have any tips on the type of washer i.e. is there an alternative to fibre - they are very hard washers - I have read somewhere on the Forum that you can use copper washers? Would these be better or are there just better quality fibre washers available, this appears to be where the problem lies.

Any tips will be welcome.

Rob

I continue to be amazed at the level of support Burlen give the SU product line. Quite amazing, really, the number of reasonably-priced small parts that one can get to keep a carb as original as possible. They get all my support for that reason alone. The fact that the parts are good is a plus!

I had the same problem and sealed mine with a petrol resistant sealer from the local agricultural store. The disadvantage is that if you need to undo the banjo you break the seal. You can take the take the lid off with the banjo still attached if it helps.

I had to use the same sealer for the float chamber securing bolt . It seems to be OK for now after two weeks.

Let us know what you chose in the end.

Richard & H.

Just an update on the Banjo Washers.

I bought from Burlen 4 washers and fitted these today. Result - still leaked, not a lot, but a small amount is too much!. I als tightened up as much as is reasonable. I have to say they looked exactly the same as the set from Rimmers, but I thought the quality of the fibre might be better and hence more petrol proof.

So what to do now?, I know I have a tin of Heldite, so I smeared that on all the surfaces and then placed the washers after the Heldite had gone tacky. Tightened up as much as before, result - no leaks, bone dry.

Conclusion: Quality of the washers is not what it used to be, they need a bit of help. As I said in my original post, I had taken the banjos off on successive occasions previously, not renewed the washers and had no leaks. It was only that recently one washer got a bit screwed up and started to leak that I decided to change them. The original washers were black as opposed to red - I am not suggesting that makes a difference - :unsure:, but their composition looked more like a hard rubber than fibre? but these were on the car when I bought it so I cannot say with any certainty what their made of.

Rob

I had the same issue last summer when I got some new washers from Rimmers, they leaked despite some high torque. As I was ordering something else from Moss, I added some new washers to the shopping list, fitted them and they leaked with some gentle torque but sealed just fine with a bit more but not excessive torque. They looked just the same but who knows if they come from the same factory and it is just some variation or if they really are different?

Mick

I saw my mate assembling some carbs for an EType yesterday he was using alloy washers he said the fiber ones piss out so orders Ali ones from Namrik and never has any problems, maybe some help, worth a try ? another thought, what about pre soaking the washers first.

I went down to Namrick this afternoon and they did not have any suitable washers. Any chance of asking your mate for a reference or order number. I was at Namrick in Hove, I hope that is the right store.

Thanks Richard & H.

About Burlen, I'm afraid that I don't share your point of view guys.

I've seen so many new carbs, bought from them, who weren't correctly adjusted (I do not speack about tunning the carbs, but about incorrect play between moving parts), or carbs sold as pairs who weren't identical....

"e type restorer" Richard ?

Most of the SU or Stromberg carbs parts I use are from Burlen, but their quality is not as good as it was originally.

Let me explain : I've seen pistons not moving freely in their dash pot, copper inserts (as breather connectors) falling from the carb where they should not move, different jets on a pair of -presumely indentical- carbs, etc.....

Dare I say that (may be ?) Burlen' carbs are as Guinness, ie the quality is not the same for export :lol::lol::lol: ?

I saw my mate assembling some carbs for an EType yesterday he was using alloy washers he said the fiber ones piss out so orders Ali ones from Namrik and never has any problems, maybe some help, worth a try ? another thought, what about pre soaking the washers first.Your

Is there any chance that your e type friend has some contact details and spec.

Thanks

Based on the comments so far (fibre are too unreliable, although you could get lucky with one supplier), I think I'll give the aluminium crush washers a go. Does anyone know the 'M' size for the banjo washer?

Rob

Anything resembling a fibre or rubber washer I drop into a mix of 90% oil and 10% power steering leak stopper, the stuff that swells seals in ageing power steering systems and auto gearboxes, and leave overnight.

Touch wood, that hasn't yet failed to produce a satisfactory result in umpty nine different and varied applications . . . . :)

Cheers

Alec