Musical Engine.

Hi Folks,

I've developed a musical engine. When it was rebuilt in 2015/6 there was a tapping sound.

A little like the wood blocks you hear in the backing band.

Stripped the engine down the following year and couldn't find the problem.

Re-assembled and the wood blocks were keeping time very nicely.

Over the last few months there has been a diddly dee, diddly dee.

This has changed into a rather catchy thrumming sound that runs in time with the firing order -

Key of J 4/4 time

imagine the noise Br Br Br Br Br Br Br Br now superimpose a d, d, d, d to it and you have

Br Br Br Br Br Br Br Br Br Br Br Br Br Br Br Br

d, d, d, d d, d, d, d

All I need now is a boom ooh ya ta ta ta

I think the 2 year old expensive timing chain is doing something musical odd

The brakes are now working - what next.

Roger

I do actually wear earplugs for motorway top up driving in the TR, where the wind noise and exhaust can get a bit tiring.

Bose in ear noise cancelling earphones do an amazing job, Isolate earplugs good too

For roof down the motor and exhaust are all the music i need , never turn the stereo on ( dont know why i fitted it!)

:-)

Roger, my sympathies regarding your musical engine.

At the moment I am suffering a similar fate but not in the TR. Pippin the Pied Piper is practising her piccolo at all hours of the day and night for the village Pantomime (.........Oh yes she is!). All I can hear are the same tunes over and over again (the whippets have learnt to cover their ears with their paws - I have resorted to ear plugs). The rehearsal this evening did not apparently go well and so I am bracing myself for an even more intensive peeping of the piccolo for the next three weeks. At least the end is in sight.............

Roger, my sympathies regarding your musical engine.

At the moment I am suffering a similar fate but not in the TR. Pippin the Pied Piper is practising her piccolo at all hours of the day and night for the village Pantomime (.........Oh yes she is!). All I can hear are the same tunes over and over again (the whippets have learnt to cover their ears with their paws - I have resorted to ear plugs). The rehearsal this evening did not apparently go well and so I am bracing myself for an even more intensive peeping of the piccolo for the next three weeks. At least the end is in sight.............

This reminds me of when I was learning the recorder. I had been banished to the garden to practise the National Anthem, our elderly next door neighbour popped up over the hedge asking me how much longer I would be practising as she was tired of standing up.

I thought you were going to post “ I know a song that will get on your nerves” The “ noise” is certainly getting on my nerves and I am deaf. The redeeming feature is, the faster we go the less it is audible.

I see you are all taking this seriously :P

Today I stripped the front down and removed the timing chain cover. Expecting to see the tensioner and or chain fall out in pieces.

Sadly it all looked in perfect condition.

I took the rocker cover off to see if that was producing the semi-demi-quavers and crotchets but alas no. There were gaps at each location

So tomorrow I shall give it a test run and see if the noise is still there and perhaps locate its position.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Distributor bob weights or little ends????

Chris

Hi Chris,

The dizzy was rebuilt two years ago by Martin (The Dizzy Doc) and has been shown tp be innocent by substitution.

I keep thinking about the little ends but they were professionally fitted and reamed and feel OK (I took it all apart winter 2016.

New oil pump fitted at same time.

If I can get to the end of Feb I will remove the engine for another full strip down and change anything that stays still long enough.

Roger

Rattling vanes on the thermostatic radiator blind?

Peter W

PS Rattling exhaust or bonnet prop rod or loose bonnet hinge pins - this list could be a long one.....

REM all nuts must be tight except the one holding the steering wheel.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Dear Roger,

Please may I borrow your car for our pantomime? I have studied your music score, and without doubt, your car is playing 'tico tico​'. https://youtu.be/lU7tt8BSe-c

If i could park it in the wings and turn the engine on at the right time, it would sound just perfect. Your car is obviously much more musically talented than I am. :(

Vicky xx

You have too much time on your hands Roger, you need a hobby......

Peter W

PS Last year my brother's TR3A developed an audible and worrying knocking/clicking noise from the engine - was it tappets, rockers, timing chain, tensioner, cam, water pump, distributor.?

He adjusted everything, listened with a stethoscope, wrung his hands and thought the head would have to come off.

As a last resort I popped round with a set of new roller rockers - just to see what might happen if they were fitted....

We retorqued the head, fitted the rockers, adjusted everything to factory spec and the noise has as good as gone.

We can not find any obvious wear in the rockers beyond the usual oval bushes and D shaped shaft that is typical in a 100k mile TR.

Hi,

I do recall reading in Roger Williams How To Restore (page 88) that a noise like a worn little-end is probably a worm shaft or shaft key that runs from the camshaft to the distributor to the oil pump.

In the past when I mentioned noises coming from the engine, a 'Friend' used to advise turning up the volume on the radio.

Regards

David

Hi David,

no good. I do not have a radio fitted. :o

This afternoon I pulled the tappets and 4 of the 8 had serious galling on the pressure face. #1 & 2 were worse by a long way.

This time last year I did the same and found 3 or 4 in a similar condition. It must be a combination of the cam and followers.

Just come back from Moss have bought a Kent Road cam. The followers are lightened and hardened. Not the Newman chilled tappets but they didn't have them.

This will all go back in on Sunday/Monday. Should be interesting to see what happens.

Roger

Roger,

Glad you have found A cause for your music.

If it recurs, do you have an engineer's stethoscope? That should be able to at least locaise the noise.

John

Of course you could always:

Edited by john.r.davies