Electrickery advice pls. 69 TR6

2 things are adrift,

No water temp or fuel gauge movement.

wiper motor becoming warm and not working.

cables cannot be incorrect on the Voltage stabiliser, so I think it may be duff, but is there a test procedure for it?

I suspect I have the top 2 cables on the switch in the wrong order, hard to determine via switch and drawing comparison, has anyone a pic of the rear of the switch please.

Bloody cold out there today!

post-4234-0-48563000-1513431861_thumb.jpg

post-4234-0-37136700-1513431943_thumb.jpg

Edited by pfenlon

Casing of the voltage stabiliser needs to be earthed for it to work. Normally earths via contact with the back of the speedo casing which should be earthed.

If it was earthed at the time of the test then the first thing to check is that you have 12v on the supply side when the ignition is on. If not, the wiper problem may have popped the fuse - think they are on the same fuse (they are on most Triumphs of that era)

Nick

This could be a pointless post..

Do you have this service manual page?

I found it very helpful when creating a switch and wiper wiring loom for a TR6 wiper motor being fitted in an air portable Land Rover (why?... you may well ask)

TR6 wiper motor and wiring.pdf

Peter W

This could be a pointless post..

Do you have this service manual page?

I found it very helpful when creating a switch and wiper wiring loom for a TR6 wiper motor being fitted in an air portable Land Rover (why?... you may well ask)

attachicon.gifTR6 wiper motor and wiring.pdf

Peter W

That diagram is far better than mine, and it does confirm I have 2 wires crossed, thank you for posting.

Test procedure for stabiliser:

Connect 'B' to battery and earth the body. Multimeter across terminal 'I' and earth.

Despite the name of the unit, you should see a regular switch from 12 to Zero volts and back again. This averages 10V, whatever the state of the charging system, and the very damped gauges don't notice the cycling.

John

Test procedure for stabiliser:

Connect 'B' to battery and earth the body. Multimeter across terminal 'I' and earth.

Despite the name of the unit, you should see a regular switch from 12 to Zero volts and back again. This averages 10V, whatever the state of the charging system, and the very damped gauges don't notice the cycling.

John

brilliant thanks John

what a forum.