Alternative to MX5 seats?

I have been following the MX5 seat thread, but over here in Kiwi land there is no one offering these items refurbished in leather and from what I can see available they're now getting a little long in the tooth (shabby).

Does anyone have any suggsetions as to other possible donors that may be a little more contemporary and could potentially be adapted to fit? Honda S2000 comes to mind, but I have no idea about the width. Late model MR2 or Mitsi FTO/GTO perhaps?

All comments welcome....

Gavin

p.s. There's unlikely to be a supplier of MX5 adaptor brackets here and importing some will be costly. It's therefore likely I'll be fabricating my own so a different seat is probably not an issue in that regard.

Edited by KiwiTR6

You can often buy new covers for MX seats and the brackets arent too much of a problem as they are described in the Technicalities CD, that section could be printed out and sent to you.

Stuart.

MX5 seats can be made a nice look and good comfort.

It is the middle of the seat that makes the difference

and the headrest.

Take a look here, I got seats from them and they fit good and look more

similar to original than any other seat.

Also it is a problem to make seats fit and MX5s are smaller at the top

not to interfear with the cover at the side when roof is down.

Recaro LS is an option, I have them in the V8 but they do not fit that nice.

http://www.ma-carstyle.de/index.php/de/galerie-de/category/213-ledersitze-aus-mx-5

M.G. Owners or M.G. on EBay.

Hi Niall

Yes I have those, but they only make them for a single post head rest. I'm looking at modifying, but I think it will end up a bit messy. I've also got some BMW ones with adjustable holes, but they are plastic, with a swivel at the end and far to flimsy. Might have to get someone to make some up in stainless.. not sure who yet.

Hi Niall

Yes I have those, but they only make them for a single post head rest. I'm looking at modifying, but I think it will end up a bit messy. I've also got some BMW ones with adjustable holes, but they are plastic, with a swivel at the end and far to flimsy. Might have to get someone to make some up in stainless.. not sure who yet.

Yes I think they need to extend to the other Headrest Post makes them a lot more stable.

Hi all

A side question - does anyone happen to know where to get seat belt guides for these seats from ?. ie the MX5 separate type headrest with 2 posts.

Best Bill

Hi, Bill,

I have seen guides made from leather belts doubled and with two holes punched through to match the positions of the two posts.

Sounds a bit rough and ready, but the ones I've seen look good and seem to work ok, as well as being all but free, if you buy your belts from a charity shop!

John

I got these a few years ago and they've been fine. Just a word of caution though, regarding the length of the tidies. Suggest you make sure they are not too long else you run the risk if interference with the hood mechanisms - although in my case, the max rearward position of the seat back is restricted a little by the roll bar.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I had mine made to my own dimensions to ensure no foulng - cost doubled but they do the job.

post-12457-0-75911000-1513180627_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alfrom

I've got some MGF seats in my midget.. fit well in there.. I can measure them if you like?

Cheers

tim

Interesting... looking in the register forum archive there seems to be a fair number of people claiming that the MGF seats do not fit..

Also cannot see any examples of it working online.

Interesting. Neil.. do you have pictures? They are much nicer seats than the MX5 seats and more available..

cheers

tim

I bought a couple of MX5 Mark 1 seats for $A400 for my 4A. They had the speakers in the headrests. They had the original cloth upholstery (with a cigarette burn on the drivers one). I bought new upholstery from a company called Car Trimmers in the UK for $A800 for the pair. Unfortunately, they no longer seem to be in business but there are a number of alternatives on the net at about the same price.

After the purchase of a pair of hog ring pliers, the removal and replacement of the upholstery was quite straight forward. While the seats were disassembled, I had the seat pans powder coated. Mazda did not even bother to paint them, thinking (correctly) that they would never be seen. However they do develop surface rust in a sports car.

Despite still having the original foam, they are still very comfortable and having the speakers in the headrests gives better sound and is much easier than having to mount them in the doors or finding another spot in the car. I replaced the Mazda speakers with Clearwater ones. No-one buys a TR to listen to hi-fi but they are fine for general use.

I would be surprised if any other seat will fit a TR. Despite being narrow, the MX5 seats are a tight fit.

post-14867-0-67074300-1513202711_thumb.jpg

I bought a couple of MX5 Mark 1 seats for $A400 for my 4A. They had the speakers in the headrests. They had the original cloth upholstery (with a cigarette burn on the drivers one). I bought new upholstery from a company called Car Trimmers in the UK for $A800 for the pair. Unfortunately, they no longer seem to be in business but there are a number of alternatives on the net at about the same price.

After the purchase of a pair of hog ring pliers, the removal and replacement of the upholstery was quite straight forward. While the seats were disassembled, I had the seat pans powder coated. Mazda did not even bother to paint them, thinking (correctly) that they would never be seen. However they do develop surface rust in a sports car.

Despite still having the original foam, they are still very comfortable and having the speakers in the headrests gives better sound and is much easier than having to mount them in the doors or finding another spot in the car. I replaced the Mazda speakers with Clearwater ones. No-one buys a TR to listen to hi-fi but they are fine for general use.

I would be surprised if any other seat will fit a TR. Despite being narrow, the MX5 seats are a tight fit.

post-14867-0-67074300-1513202711_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. After some searching locally I've managed to find a set of Mk1 MX5 seats that have already been recovered in black leather for a very reasonable price (based on the comments made above ;) ). In view of the fact that this is a proven conversion and the bracket design details are readily available, I'd be a mug not to buy them.....

Gavin