Thermostatic radiator blind

Hi Folks,

I fitted the piece of cardboard to the radiator the other day and although it improves things it is very low tech.

I have searched Ebay for one of those roller blinds of yesteryear but with no joy.

The other day I spotted something that may be the answer - BMW E46 Radiator Venetian blind

It arrived today (just like Christmas). Thankfully the packing made it look twice it's actual size.

So we have the blinds that look sort of wide enough.

A cowl it is built into - far too deep. It is made of plastic so will be easy to reshape.

And an operating canister that looks like it needs a vacuum (suction) to close the blinds.

Now, I'm only a little bit clever and I've done those things (unwrapped it - that's it)

So in real life how are the blinds powered - off the intake manifold maybe!!

If so then the blinds would be open at speed - just when you want them closed.

So any help in this direction would be welcomed.

If all else fails I can disconnect the canister and operate the blinds either manually from inside the car or wire up a 1/4HP motor to power the little devils. They are in fact very free if need be.

The first thing is to see if it will actually attach to the rad effectively.

Watch this space - I'll be back.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Hi Roger ~

I seem to recall that the roller blind for the radiator was manufactured by the KL Company. (Key Leather)?

We fitted quite a few of these in the 50's.

Just like you my father used to fit a piece of cardboard to the lower half of the rad. on his 1939 Morris 8 Series E.

Tom.

Normally we have loads of talk and methods for keeping our wet liner 4 pots cool.

Now we are discussing how to keep them warm !!

???? Surely the answer is to replace all the sludge and casting sand to re insulate the block ????

Well thanks a lot chaps.

I feel truly buoyed by your comments.

I'll still be back :o

Roger :P

We need some pictures of your endeavours Roger ????

Hang on Hamish,

it is jolly chilly out there. :angry:

I have to formulate a plan before I start chopping things up.

Roger

Didnt mean to pressurise you Roger.

But we are inspired by your inventiveness.

And Im not good with words so look at the pictures.

H

Here you go Roger.

Copy this kit for 12v remote control roller.

Just add your own material.

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=272262632882&category=20585&pm=1&ds=0&t=1511321489000&ver=0&cspheader=1

Simples!

A length of plastic tubing from the device to the cockpit, where you have a non-return valve and a short length of tube ending near you mouth.

When you want to close the blind, you just use your lungs to extract the air from the device.

You'll need a bleed valve to permit the resultant vacuum to be released as the weather improves.

For a man of your calibre and infinite resourcefulness, this should not present a serious challenge (and should keep you busy over the few days before the thaw comes).

Merry Christmas,

Ian Cornish

1/4 HP motor? bl00dy eck how big is it?

The blinds will normally be open and powered shut. So how about a 12v stepper motor.

Something like https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F352066921764

Failing that how about a Concorde intake ramp computer? It would have to go where the passenger seat is ......and you can tow Sue behind in a trolley!

Edited by DaveN

How about copying the Old Rolls Royce louvred system

-The traditional Rolls-Royce radiator with triangular top was used with vertical louvres, the angle of which is controlled thermostatically to control engine cooling.-

post-13886-0-19058600-1513111515_thumb.jpgHi Roger,

Good luck with your endeavours.

Was this the type you were looking for?

Got this 20 odd years ago for a vitesse, but never fitted it, might put it on the 6.

Atb

Hi Ian,

are you suggesting that I produce a lot of wind :o:oB)

Hi Dave,

I have put the stepper on the list as it stops/locks and goes up/down. The idea driver.

Hi Hamish,

I was considering making a nice Stainless Louvre not too dissimilar to the RR.

This plastic BMW thing is ready made so should go together more quickly.

See, you lot couldn't resist it. Give some boys some toys and off they go. We'll have this cracked by Easter.

Roger

I once rented a Vauxhall/Opel that had powered sunblinds on the rear windows - if you could find one of those in a scrapyard you might be able to repurpose the blinds?

Admittedly the weather's not great for climbing around in scrapyards, but someone might have one already stripped out.

Pete

Hi Roger,

Looking forward to progress updates.

As for " climbing around in scrapyards" as Pete suggests, shame H&S have that covered now! I remember swaying to and fro, 4 cars up in a big yard somewhere near Neasden back in the late 80's, trying to get the fuel tank sender out of a herald. Think it was Neasden as I recall popping into midnight motors in Wembley on the way back home.

Atb

On the BMW that the blind came from the system would have been controlled from the vacuum that runs the heater controls, you just need to "T" into your servo feed (Presumably you have one as you seem to have everything else!) and have a vacuum pot inside the car from a heater control panel from a similar car..

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

servo on my car - what do you think I am. No room because of all the logic boxes :P

I sort of worked out it comes from the manifold but looks like it works backwards - blinds open at speed/ shut when stationary.

I think the first thing to do is get it to physically fit. Then worry about it working.

Roger