Interesting(?) TR4 for sale in Holland; police livery

At £70K that must be one heck of a lot of commission . . . . .

This is hardly an original car, by now more of the usual bitsa reconstruction with the bonus of an interesting history and a bunch of police accessory fitments - agreed Neil made a good job of restoring the car, but anyone wanting to pay that sort of money needs their bumps feeling, at least in my view.

Cheers,

Alec

Yup. They're close to being the biggest classic car dealer in the world. Father and son. The son was in my class many years ago. I go there every now and then for a coffee. 'Red Carpet Treatment' for me when I'm on the doorstep. One of the little perks of proper teaching.

Their clientele comes from all over the world, including places where TRs were (and are) thin on the ground. That fact alone is a trigger for potential customers.

Just to add to this: a person I know, sells antique European clocks all over the world. A few times a year, a customer from the Far East buys the complete webshop and he ships the clocks inside cars that he buys from the company that has the TR on sale. Cars and clocks are send in a container to the East...

Menno

Edited by Menno van Rij 2

Yup. They're close to being the biggest classic car dealer in the world. Father and son. The son was in my class many years ago. I go there every now and then for a coffee. 'Red Carpet Treatment' for me when I'm on the doorstep. One of the little perks of proper teaching...

We're gonna go by there on our next TR International Get-together, yes? (I may be passing through AMS the end of week 6 in the coming year.)

Hi Menno thats called car clocking over here. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha. Sorry.

:D:D We have the same (translated off course) term for that! I hadn't thought about that.

Funny thing is that the seller of the car started his company with the same idea: 'a car is a metal box that you can fill with goodies'. Back in the 80s, he bought European cars from all over the USA - the era of cheap cars... He filled the cars with Levi jeans, candy etc. All sorts of stuff you couldn't get your hands on in Europe back in those days. The 'filled' car was shipped to Rotterdam and to goods inside the car were sold and paid for the moment the wheels of the car hit solid ground! All legal, taxes paid etc. He must have made a fortune out of that!

Nowadays he's more upmarket, with rich people from all over the world as his customers. The TR4 is spare change territory.

Hope he gets 70 for it ... good for our values. ;)

I agree with you. But somehow I am under the impression that this is not 'the spirit of the forum' - well at least to some of the forumites here. We have that discussion every now and then here on the forum. I think that it has to do with the memory of driving a TR on a shoestring and that galactic prices are not in conjunction with people's memories.

(I refer /paraphrase to words as: 'too much for that car'; 'it should be better restored for that price'; 'for that price it lacks...'[part/detail]).

I agree with you. But somehow I am under the impression that this is not 'the spirit of the forum' - well at least to some of the forumites here. We have that discussion every now and then here on the forum. I think that it has to do with the memory of driving a TR on a shoestring and that galactic prices are not in conjunction with people's memories.

(I refer /paraphrase to words as: 'too much for that car'; 'it should be better restored for that price'; 'for that price it lacks...'[part/detail]).

Same here, and it's quite a tribute to TRIUMPHs that so many are still being driven great distances and raced in spite of the inexorable shift to " classic " status and the attendant restoration/preservation/show factor. I'd say TRIUMPHs have allowed us to indulge our nostalgia as well or better than the rest of the marques out there.

Cheers,

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Keep me posted!

We're planning Saturday, 27 January 2018 for our next unofficial TR International Get Together, Edwin. For anyone nearby Amsterdam, I'm sure I speak for Menno in saying they'd be more than welcome to play cars with us for part of a day.

• 1 year later...