Window Channel Assembly

Hi

Winter renovation of doors and inners. Any tips on removing the Channel Assembly which is held in place with rubber to the bottom of the glass? I am scared of cracking glass so am after tips.

Reason is clean and paint of semi rusty channel assembly.

Hi,

lay the glass flat on the work bench.

If you have a square headed panel beaters hammer (a round one will also work) then slide the hammer across the glass and hitting the channel.

The channel/rubber should be gripping the glass very tightly. So it will take a fair few hammer blows.

If it appears really stuck (some people glue these insity) add some plus gas etc.

Roger

Not really, think I used screwdriver to ease the glass out by sliding it between glass bottom and window holder frame. You could make sure it's warm and get some wd 40 between glass and rubber and between rubber and frame. Stuart probably has some whiz way of doing it. Btw, it's just as difficult getting it all back together..

Before you get " carried away " and get " stuck in " measure where the rubber is now on the bottom edge so that you can position the new in the right place.

Vaseline comes in handy when re-inserting.I found taping the rubber to the glass and then pushing glass and rubber into the channel worked for me.

( Rather than rubber in channel and then trying to push the glass in. It's rather a tight fit , so that the glass is gripped securely ). A Work mate bench assisted being able to exert even downward pressure on the top edge of the glass. A wooden batten , rags or whatever comes to hand , will protect the palms of your

hands , just ensure the channel is secure and cannot slip / move during the exercise.

Have fun, good luck.

Bob

Thanks Bob

Unfortunately I got carried away and wonder of hindsight I also thought . .aghh. . maybe I should have got a pen marker out and marked the channels! Oh the wonder of hindsight. .

Thanks for the tips

Rich

Hi Rich,

as Bob states it would have been re-assuring to you to mark before hand.

However don't panic; the slots in the channel for the rollers are longer than they need be.

So get the channel in the apprx centre of the glass and it should work out OK.

A number of people put contact glue on the rubber to stick it to the glass and channel. This is not a good idea unless you are separate.

Should you ever need to take it apart in the future you will have a challenge.

Roger

Rich

The Hindsight card.... if only we all learnt to use that skill first of all..... think how much time it would save.

However , if we didn't get things wrong every now and then we would never acquire " wisdom " to enable us to operate hindsight.

Life is hard at times.

Bob

Rich

The Hindsight card.... if only we all learnt to use that skill first of all..... think how much time it would save.

However , if we didn't get things wrong every now and then we would never acquire " wisdom " to enable us to operate hindsight.

Life is hard at times.

Bob

Haha! Yes, life would be boring!