Recomendations/advice a good tap/dye set for a TR6 restro

Hi all

I've bought a 1969 PI in need of a full strip and resto and before I start need to put some tools together as everything I have is metric. So as a guy brought up on metric a TR's imperial wants has me a bit confused as to what to buy.

Can you kind people please advise on;

1) A good Tap and Dye set

2) A decent 3/8 and 1/2 inch 6 point sockets

3) Ring/open ended ratcet spanners

4) HSS/cobalt imperial drills

I've loads of extensions, compressor, mig etc

Any other advice with regard to kit that will make life easier would be appreciatted

Regards

Andy

Either haunt the Sunday Boot fairs and buy secondhand Snap On, Brit Tool etc or wander into Halfords and buy their Professional range which has lifetime warranty and a good enough quality to hardly ever need to claim on it.

Even the truck mechanics I worked with were swapping onto Halfords, if they broke a tool (they break every make of tool, sometimes it just has to come off NOW !)they could send a parts van down to the local Halfords evenings to up to 7pm and get it replaced, instead of having to wait for the one day a week the trade vans for Snap on or Britool came around.

The taps and dies again should be available either on e bay or via boot fairs at reasonable prices.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

For taps and dies its false economy to buy cheapest or used. If you snap off a tap it will cost more to get it removed than the cost of a reasonable set.

There are lots of cheap poor-quality sets out there so its better to go to a known supplier such as Tracy Tools or RDG. They carry both cheaper ones in high carbon steel and the real-deal in high speed steel. Carbon steel is OK for occasional use but needs care as is more liable to break than HSS, being more brittle. For cleaning-up existing threads which I guess is all you will need in a restoration, carbon steel will be fine.

Edited by RobH

For taps and dies its false economy to buy cheapest or used. If you snap off a tap it will cost more to get it removed than the cost of a reasonable set.

There are lots of cheap poor-quality sets out there so its better to go to a known supplier such as Tracy Tools or RDG. They carry both cheaper ones in high carbon steel and the real-deal in high speed steel. Carbon steel is OK for occasional use but needs care as is more liable to break than HSS, being more brittle. For cleaning-up existing threads which I guess is all you will need in a restoration, carbon steel will be fine.

My advice is keep away from carbon steel taps and dies because of Far East quality? You will need a good range of HSS ( High speed Steel ) both in UNF & UNC, you do not need a full range of sizes, especially the large sizes as this is where it becomes expensive. I don't agree that HSS break more easierly than carbon steel. I only buy ones of European, Jap. or USA manufacture, as normal there is a lot of rubbish out their.

Bruce.

I don't agree that HSS break more easierly than carbon steel

If you read it again Bruce you will see that I said just the opposite. My point was that HSS is tougher and breaks less easily than brittle carbon steel. The 'far east quality' is why I suggested buying from a reputable supplier. Properly made carbon steel items are quite serviceable for occasional use on cleaning up threads.

Hi Andy,

agree with moth of the above.

MachineMart do decent sets of Taps and Dies for all of what you car needs - not the highest quality but decent quality.

Both these people do very good tools

http://www.tracytools.com/

https://www.rdgtools.co.uk/

Halfords do very good tools but mainly metric - you have to look hard for the imperial - Why six point sockets? Most applications work with Bihex and if you have limited space may be the only answer.

Ebay is handy but can sometime be a lottery.

HSS drills are good and priced accordingly - you are only cutting through mild steel of cast steel/iron.

. Other special drills have a place but are far more expensive.

Apart from the hand tools you will need a bench grinder, angle grinder, electric or air drill, Compressor ....... the list is almost endless, but you'll have a garage to be impressed with :):)

Roger

I've utilised Bergen products for donkeys' years, on the recommendation of the garage /MoT station that I use . . . . they rely on Snap On and Britool for everyday tools, and Bergen for the less heavily utilised items. The Bergen stuff lasts extraordinarily well for the price, and there are some cracking buys at restoration shows and autojumbles from Bergen stockists.

Ebay can be excellent for large bundles of old AF/Whit/BA/UNF/UNC spanners, sockets and suchlike - you don't need many good used ones in a job lot to justify the purchase. Little-used vintage socket sets by decent manufacturers like Elora or Gedore can be cheap as chips compared to buying new.

Cheers

Alec

On the advice of a fellow forumite I bought one of these and it has done everything I want it to do, so far.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unf-Unc-Imperial-SAE-Tap-And-Die-Set-1-8-1-2-24pcs-By-BERGEN-AT610-/141556599182?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

These taps & dies seem to be for 'cleaning up' existing threads,

rather than cutting new ones.

That being said, it's probably all you would need for a TR restoration.

AlanR

I bought a relatively cheap set, 40 euro's for UNF and UNC up to and including 3/8".

Probably not good for tapping new holes in high tensile steels (or SS), but good enough for the use in a tr restauration.

I re-tap each hole to free it from dirt, paint, rust, and did not break one (yet).

If I would be a daily user, yes, I would buy a hogher quality.

Regards,

Waldi

Edited by Waldi

Thanks for all the advice I'll have a look at the sites suggested.

I agree Halfords do a excellent range of tools and I've had no issues taking the odd broken bit back.

I should have asked in the original post but what sizes would you suggest with regard to AF sockets/spanners.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

1/4" drive - 1/4 AF to 1/2" AF

3/8" drive - 7/16 AF to 3/4 AF

1/2" drive 1/2" to 1" + odd big sizes

0.92" for steering wheel nut

27mm (1 1/8") for the front crank bolt to turn by hand on TR4

Roger

Thanks Roger much appreciated

I've become a big fan of 3/8 drive impact sockets for the vast majority of work on cars and have both deep and shallow sets bought from ebay. They have thicker walls than normal sockets but they work on the flats so less risk of rounding the points on old nuts. Good supply of Plus gas also a good idea.

I don't agree that HSS break more easierly than carbon steel

If you read it again Bruce you will see that I said just the opposite. My point was that HSS is tougher and breaks less easily than brittle carbon steel. The 'far east quality' is why I suggested buying from a reputable supplier. Properly made carbon steel items are quite serviceable for occasional use on cleaning up threads.

Rob, you are right! Sorry I should have read it correctly.

Bruce.

In addition to taps and dies you would be well advised to use new bolts and screws where rust has taken its toll.

This company do a good selection of UNF/UNC good quality galvanised nuts , bolts, screws, spire nuts/ rivets etc.

http://www.namrick.co.uk

Kevin

Thanks Kevin

Nice site ordered some UNF/UNC nuts/bolts, washers and fibre/copper washers to get me started. :)