Better door closure with proper seals

Neil is correct, here is a photo I've just taken of Saffy's door rubber - the small thin rubber was put there in the early 70's by the original owner as extra protection to channel water away:

24796525_10210992654227515_2656543093362

Cheers

Andrew

So Andrew, Stuart was correct, and St ended the seal at the door hinge.

The additional seal being a modification of a car owner and nought to do with ST.

So Andrew, Stuart was correct, and St ended the seal at the door hinge.

The additional seal being a modification of a car owner and nought to do with ST.

Pete,

The seal ends below the door hinge (not above) and that's where it finishes on the handful the original unrestored TR6's I know of.............take a closer look at your own photo, the seal finishes below the level of the top door hinge also........

Yes, as I said above, the additional thin strip of rubber was fitted by the original owner in the early 70's to channel water away.

Cheers

Andrew

If there was one thing that Triumph became good at, latter 60s and 70s that is, it was building cars that leaked.

I hate to think how many rubber seals had to be dealt with at PDI, let alone after the new owner had first taken the car out in the rain . . . . rubbers replaced, realigned, or supplemented by extra strips of whatever seal. Whether you call that original or not depends on your point of view, it's not factory but it was often enough dealer rectification pre-delivery..

Then there was the leaking windscreen and rear window syndrome, especially on the small saloons, they weren't exactly being generous with sealant at Canley. If you thrashed a 1300TC it would spring screen leaks at both ends . . . .

Mind you, blocked drain holes in doors of the small saloons weren't unusual either, the door filled up a few inches until in due course it overflowed into the footwell.

The Good Old Days . . . .

Cheers,

Alec

If there was one thing that Triumph became good at, latter 60s and 70s that is, it was building cars that leaked.

I hate to think how many rubber seals had to be dealt with at PDI, let alone after the new owner had first taken the car out in the rain . . . . rubbers replaced, realigned, or supplemented by extra strips of whatever seal. Whether you call that original or not depends on your point of view, it's not factory but it was often enough dealer rectification pre-delivery..

Then there was the leaking windscreen and rear window syndrome, especially on the small saloons, they weren't exactly being generous with sealant at Canley. If you thrashed a 1300TC it would spring screen leaks at both ends . . . .

Mind you, blocked drain holes in doors of the small saloons weren't unusual either, the door filled up a few inches until in due course it overflowed into the footwell.

The Good Old Days . . . .

Cheers,

Alec

We all know that,and as for the new furflex seals not fitting load of !!!!!! just check they have not have a staple join to save waste

As someone said to me should have gone to specsavers.

Neil - I may have misunderstood your one word when ten are needed post but are you saying that Stuart already posted the Woolies number? If so I must have made yet a further mistake because I thought the one Stuart helpfully posted was the seal going all the way round the door which I plan to order. Because I have the tight door problem. Thanks JJC

Sillytime it is, the ST seal finishes at 3.947mm past the top door hinge.

As shown in my Pic. To the Micron!

The length of this seal was purely dependant on the applicators ability to do the job, if

under the permanent influence of the glue, to be clear (to quote Polly Tishan) it would change in length just before lunch, and again before the end of the shift.

It differed also after the Xmas party, when some were omitted altogether.

The other seal applied by AN OTHER was nothing to do with the factory.

to get so much aggravated pleasure out of arguing about so trivial a matter should tell us something.

Being into something so badly is just phagocytosis.

Well yes and it’s that one I’m wondering if it’s available from Woolies. So their part number would be helpful. The ST seal not the later addition in case of any doubt.

If you need a sample to send to Woolies let me know and I shall cut some from mine and post it to you.

" We all know that "

Some of us perhaps, but I doubt all of us.

Personally I learn new stuff every day, but then I'm merely an enthusiast and not by any means an expert, maybe I should have concentrated more in my younger days . . . . :rolleyes:

I'm now 66, and I was 17 when the TR6 came out, so by my reckoning anyone currently under retirement age would not have been driving (or even working on) early TR6s as delivered to dealers. Those of us who were around are now getting thinned out by the passing years.

I'm not convinced that the younger generations of TR owners are that familiar with all the problems that occurred back in the day, indeed many owners seem to have a distinctly optimistic impression of the 'good old days' . . . . . :)

If younger TR men and women are bored silly by first-hand recollections of when the cars were new, as opposed to comments by those young enough only to have known the cars at second hand, then no doubt they'll be along shortly to make the point . . . . ?

Cheers,

Alec

• 8 months later...

A few questions from on the fitment of this door seal that starts at the windscreen capping and ends somewhere round the door hinge.

Should I remove the furflex seal first and re-fit afterwards over the glued section of the additional seal?

Any recommendations on suitable glue, best method of it's application and how to remove excess?

Regards,

Richard.