Better door closure with proper seals

So fitted new door seals when I was rebuilding the car post respray.

These furflex seals are the ones available from the usual suspects and have a tubular rubber seal. Although they looked nice they seemed to be too thick making the door hard to close. I left the doors closed for some time hoping to compress them, but little improvement. Then read on a US site that the original seals were not tubular but were flaps instead. Apparently you can make the tubular seals into flaps by careful use of a sharp craft knife. Tried this and had a slight improvement, but still not perfect.

Then someone pointed out that you can get the original profile seals, just not furflex. So I bought some (much cheaper than furflex) and fitted them at the weekend... Brilliant... Doors now close with minimal shove.. Can live without the fur...

Cheers

tim

Would this explain why my boot lid doesn't close fully (too much upward pressure holds the lid proud a fraction, especially on the stay side)?

Gavin

Oops, just checked the link and see its say "Triumph Door & Boot Seal". I'll be placing an order shortly.... :)

Edited by KiwiTR6

Slightly cheaper than the one I have been recommending for years from Woolies trim https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/product/1285/door-seal

FWIW the Woolies one is slightly narrower so for tighter fitting doors is better.

Though for a boot seal I would use their https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/product/1928/small-boot-seal

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Slightly cheaper than the one I have been recommending for years from Woolies trim https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/product/1285/door-seal

FWIW the Woolies one is slightly narrower so for tighter fitting doors is better.

Though for a boot seal I would use their https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/product/1928/small-boot-seal

Stuart.

Hi Stuart, do you use the same up the windscreen frame, a recent post suggested their were two rubbers.

My 6 came with rather thick rubbers covered in paint and the doors didn’t close easily.

Mark

Hi Stuart, do you use the same up the windscreen frame, a recent post suggested their were two rubbers.

My 6 came with rather thick rubbers covered in paint and the doors didn’t close easily.

Mark

Yes it goes all the way round from tucked under the capping all the way round the opening to the capping on the "B" post. Then on a 5 and 6 there is another separate rubber that is glued to the face of the frame and finishes at the top of the door hinge. This is available in two sizes depending on how big the gap is between the glass and the frame.

Stuart.

Yes it goes all the way round from tucked under the capping all the way round the opening to the capping on the "B" post. Then on a 5 and 6 there is another separate rubber that is glued to the face of the frame and finishes at the top of the door hinge. This is available in two sizes depending on how big the gap is between the glass and the frame.

Stuart.

Panto time oh no it does not :P

This is where the Original "other"seal finishes, as Stuart describes, just above the door hinge, the brown glue is still visible.

I didn't know there were 2 thicknesses though.

post-4234-0-77450000-1512591234_thumb.jpg

Neil... You are such a tease :-)

Been discussed before I think?

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/13470-position-of-door-seal-rubber/

Cheers

Tim

Huh? Neil you being being mysterious again?

Hi Neil...

Still keeping things under your hat..

Cheers

tim

There is two seals but it does not and should not finish at the top of the door hinge should be the bottom or it will not last long.I will post a pic if required.

Neil is correct, here is a photo I've just taken of Saffy's door rubber - the small thin rubber was put there in the early 70's by the original owner as extra protection to channel water away:

24796525_10210992654227515_2656543093362

Cheers

Andrew

Aha.. similar to the others posted. Not much of a mystery.

Cheers

Tim