Winter care

Hi all

Next question to follow up recent query re. fuel and additives.

My 6 will have to spend the winter outside - it will be covered with what looks like a good quality 'Hamiltons' cover.

I have today cleaned the chrome-work and then lightly coated in car body wax ('Meguiar's carnauba plus').

So......is it OK to leave the chrome coated in car body wax for 3-4 months, and what else would you advise for outdoor overwintering;

mainly in relation to bodywork?

Ernest

Hi Ernest ~

Pump up the tyres to around 40psi and stand the TR on Tyresavers to prevent flat spots. (see photo.).

Tyresavers are a bit awkward to mount the car on as they tend to shoot off when you drive on to them.

They should be secured to the ground.

You could of course jack up each wheel and place the Tyresaver under the wheel.

Tom.

Edited by Fireman049

Hi Ernest,

I cannot imagine that leaving wax on chrome would be a problem (other than difficulties in removing it after some months), but perhaps other more knowledgeable minds will be able to give you a definite answer. I've heard that vaseline is good for protecting chrome in the winter, so I use a smear of that. I think someone has also mentioned using dry PTFE spray, but I've not tried that one.

Cheers, Darren

I spray my chrome with a clear cavity wax over winter. It comes off with a cloth soaked in white spirit.

I use the same wax spray to coat the rear of my bumpers which stays there permanently.

£3.50 a can.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Automotive/d60/Lubricants+%26+Sprays/sd2795/Protection+Wax/p41925

Alan

Edited by barkerwilliams

Hi Ernest,

I don't think car body wax will offer good protection against the elements.

The soft cavity wax (available in amber and transparent) mentioned by Alan would be my choice too.

Waldi

Oh Dear. I would never leave a TR outside, especially with a cover on, the cover will make the car will sweat and depending on the primer used under the paint may cause the dreaded "micro blistering"

Probably the quickest way to de-value a classic car is to leave it outside under a cover......can't you find any local dry storage?

Brian

Oh Dear. I would never leave a TR outside, especially with a cover on, the cover will make the car will sweat and depending on the primer used under the paint may cause the dreaded "micro blistering"

Probably the quickest way to de-value a classic car is to leave it outside under a cover......can't you find any local dry storage?

Brian

I agree. Unless its a 'tent' that doesn't t touch the bodywork and has a through-flow of air, and no standing water on the ground. A carport would be better than a simple cover. Peter

I have to agree with Peter. I stored my TR6 years ago outside, under a car cover lined with some kind of fluffy wool. The paint wore away on the corners where the cover touched the body and large areas of the rest of the paintwork developed micro blisters- presumably from moisture coming up from the slab underneath then condensing under the cover. Cost me a new bare metal paint job for the car in the end.

I believe a car port (to keep the area under the car largely dry) and good car cover( with blankets on the corners of the bodywork to stop the paint chaffing) would have avoided this, but ultimately I bit the bullet and built a new garage.

Thanks to all for input.

I don't have any choice re-leaving the car outside - We had the garage area converted into a self contained 'flat' to house my elderly father-in-law following the death of his wife.

It would be shame if the paint-work does suffer as it's currently in very good condition - a lovely smooth red.

Back in the seventies I used to use a 6 daily and never even thought of garaging it! - Times change and resprays get evermore expensive!

Thanks again

Ernest

How about an outdoor “Carcoon”?

Best thing since sliced bread, you don’t need ANY protective waxes, the car will come out the same as it goes in. Costs pennies to run and will be one of the best investments you can make.........I’ve got 3!

Hi Ernest,

As others have said, I wouldn't leave my out TR in the winter unless I really had no other option, which is why Simon's suggestion of a Carcoon sounds like the best way forward for you.

Your question did make me think back to my first job, which was shipping cars from the Cowley works. Part of my job was checking the paperwork on the cars before loading them on to trains ("Cartics" as they are known). Before they were shipped, they'd often spend days and weeks in our yard, open to all the elements, so for protection they were covered in a thick waxy substance on leaving the factory. I wonder if that substance was just an ordinary wax put on thick, or if it was something special.

Darren

Edited by TR5tar

Thanks for on-going contributions to this thread -

The garage frame sounds interesting Alex

Whereabouts are you? Do you have a picture of the frame?

Best Wishes

Ernest

Whatever you do it needs to be storm proof. In my experience covers & tarps tend to blow off at the most inconvenient time!

You'd be better off trying to find a garage to rent.

Edited by DRD

Hi Ernest,

sorry, forgot to add a link to previous post . . . . .

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/64259-portable-garage-frame-for-sale/

The original canvas cover succumbed to old age, but I've never had a problem with the thing blowing around, just secured the 4 corners firmly and it's stayed put for some 7 years quite unconcernedly.

I'm in Mere, SW Wilts, A303 London-Exeter road, midway between Warminster to the N and Shaftesbury to the S.

There's no great value to the frame, bottle of Scotch or somesuch !

Cheers,

Alec

Ernest, safest not to put an email in the open.. Alec can send you a Personal Message through the forum - look at envelope symbol top right of page. Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Thanks for advice re. e.mail Peter - Although the horse has bolted this time, I will keep advice in mind for any future posts.

Best Wishes

Ernest

I've edited it out of my post perhaps DRD could also.

Peter