interior window winder and door release handle

Use Correct thickness welding rod.

'v' cut across to 3/4 depth at correct or just under required length of pin. (practise snapping off in a vice to get depth of 'v' correct.)

Fit handle

Push back escutcheon.

Insert tip of welding rod to 'v' cut

Bend rod sideways to snap off tip and the short length of rod in handle hole

Release escutcheon.

Peter W

Small screwdriver, piece of pvc insulation off a thick wire, 1cm long

Insert the pin in the insulation, 1/3 way, insert the screwdriver in the other end, 2/3 way.

Now you can insert the pin in the hole quite easily, and ease the screwdriver off the pin.

Works for me !

I use a surgical locking pliers/surgical clamps, suddenly the job was made (almost) very easy.

Magnus

Hopefully your handles are original. There are some aftermarket handles circulating around which have the hole much closer to the handle than the originals, in all other respects they appear to be the same . With these handles it is almost impossible to insert the pin with the escutcheon plate in place.

The above suggestions will work, but be aware

there is a special tool for the job to make it a bit

less hassle (for removal and refitting).

Can't remember where I bought mine or how much

I paid, but it's a tool well worth having.

AlanR

The above suggestions will work, but be aware

there is a special tool for the job to make it a bit

less hassle (for removal and refitting).

Can't remember where I bought mine or how much

I paid, but it's a tool well worth having.

AlanR

Any chance of a photo of the special tool? Just in case I can find it or something similar.

Unfortunately not - tool is in England and I am in Thailand!

AlanR

Thanks. I tried all of the above until I found out that the holding pin holes in my aftermarket handles were in a different location to the originals, making them impossible to fit without heavily modifying the escutcheon plates..

Hi Mike,

can you not reposition the holes in the handle.

Roger

Yes, but by the time I found this out I'd reduced the escutcheon plates to big plastic washers. The handles work but it reinforced my belief that, wherever possible, it's better to use NOS parts.

I use a bit of plastic tubing the size of the locating pin,Push the pin in the tubing about an 1/8'' then put the escutcheon and handle on the car

push the escutcheon back with a screwdriver while supporting the handle then pop the pin in the hole then pull the tubing of and push the last

1/8'' in with a little screwdriver, Easy peasy.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dave.

There are two thicknesses of escutcheon plate out there and the thick ones make the handles near impossible to fit. The thick ones may be intended to be used without springs, perhaps saving Triumph a few pence.

Cheers Richard

I used a piece of plastic about 4mm thick cut into a C shape (I think it had been a plumbing washer)

Assemble the handle with the void in the C over the pin hole. Push handle firmly, insert pin with forceps - I found long nose pliers too bulky, pull the “C” plastic out.

​Alan

I use a surgical locking pliers/surgical clamps, suddenly the job was made (almost) very easy.

Magnus

This has been my preferred method for ages, and it is very easy.

YAY

thanks for the tips, I cut a "C" shape in a thin piece of ply and used the insulation off of a piece of wire to hold the pin to get it started, then a quick shove with a long allen key and hey presto all done!!

Another satisfied forum user!!!

kc