Another one for Restoration?

I suppose it's much less likely to sit under a tarpaulin for years in someone's garden if only due to the cost of the investment. However, so many projects started with good intentions fail due to ongoing costs or not appreciating the amount of time these restorations can consume.

So I do hope the new buyer makes [himself] known to the forum sooner or later, not least for advice and to share the journey, but for encouragement from the TR community to help see it through.

Kevin

Hey Graham, fraid so mate, if they are covered in snow, how to I identify those goodies !

But I have been down at my lock up, its cold but did a couple of hours.

Morning Kevin, I agree entirely with your sentiments, very well put.Lets hope we have a new member, or an existing one with large cahonas to tackle the project !

Cheers,

Conrad.

Don't let him have any of mine though Conrad!

Tim

Don't worry Tim, they are coming together nicely......

Hey Kevin , sounds like a plan, you never know your luck !

Enjoy the Snow,

Conrad.

Agreed Gary, we all have a soft spot for our TR's, and go through a long process, and great expense do get them back on the road, for our enjoyment.

I would have thought that's it's a private buyer, so will be doing a lot himself, or maybe someone with really deep pockets !!

These projects are still out there, keep looking.

Cheers,

Conrad,

Ps .. probably not doing Newark Autojumble tomorrow, forecast is ominous !!

Hi Conrad

You made the right decision about Newark Autojumble?

Only around a Dozen stalls outside and 20 or so inside so very disappointing, it was free to get in though!

Hi-light of the day though was calling in at Sherwood restorations and being shown by Charles the sales guy, two Sunbeam Tigers in the Workshop.

One was a low mileage (18,000 from new) one owner car.

Now there's a real wolf in sheep's clothing, the Sunbeam Tiger?

Very Tempted :rolleyes:

Call in next time for a cuppa ! I was down the lock up !

Charles is good like that and knowledgeable too.....

Cheers,

Conrad.

" The numbers simply will not add up in these times imho even if the log book is found? "

The numbers might well add up in one scenario . . . . .

A TR5 in A1 condition is worth how much, £40-50K ? A TR5 resto project at £15K still leaves a substantial margin . . . . although agreed, not sufficient for a proper rebuild to make economic sense.

However, if a logbook is obtained from DVLA, the opportunity is there to then lie low for a year or two before stealing some other TR5 and 'ringing' it with the identity of the resto project. £25K+ profit on the resale of the stolen car, and then there's still the opportunity to dismantle the original resto project and sell all the parts separately, extra profit . . . . .

It can happen, it has happened before, and it will doubtless happen again.

Hopefully not in this instance, there is no suggestion that there is anything untoward about this transaction.

Cheers,

Alec

"However, if a logbook is obtained from DVLA, the opportunity is there to then lie low for a year or two before stealing some other TR5 and 'ringing' it with the identity of the resto project. £25K+ profit on the resale of the stolen car, and then there's still the opportunity to dismantle the original resto project and sell all the parts separately, extra profit . . . . .

It can happen, it has happened before, and it will doubtless happen again."

Falling on my experience in the Metropolitan Police, I totally agree Alex.

Best wishes,

Mike

"However, if a logbook is obtained from DVLA, the opportunity is there to then lie low for a year or two before stealing some other TR5 and 'ringing' it with the identity of the resto project. £25K+ profit on the resale of the stolen car, and then there's still the opportunity to dismantle the original resto project and sell all the parts separately, extra profit . . . . .

It can happen, it has happened before, and it will doubtless happen again."

Falling on my experience in the Metropolitan Police, I totally agree Alex.

Best wishes,

Mike

+1 alas :(

Any chance of any positive thoughts chaps, you have really chosen the worst scenario possible.

I am thumbs up for the amateur restorer, or the man that farms the big jobs out, give him the benefit of the doubt !

Conrad.

i have a positive look on it...Right now i am restoring a TR6 nut and bolt job,,,it has taken 4 years so far...i spend a bit when i have it , In the end , and its getting close i will have my dream car looking as new. Could i go out and buy the same ,,,no , not without a large loan. ( i have 4 children and a springer to feed ) Do the numbers add up ? Yes i think so..

Len

Edited by len1

In these days of insane prices of good cars it is possibly (and you can include me in this) the only route-in to ownership. Then when further funds become available you get 'phases' of the restoration done.

As a value for money exercise it most likely doesn't work out,but you hope as it's going to take some years to complete,that the values go stratospheric in the meantime (Sunbeam Tiger being a good example).

Sorry Len,our posts crossed over. But looks like we're singing from the same hymn sheet !!

Andy

Edited by Brian Damage

Paperwork and more paperwork,from past owners and those that did work on the car in its past, not the person that is selling it to you what they have done matters not one jot do your homework and do it again or you may well get burnt